Hand cut PPF

To those of you who hand cut PPF... :dunno . My butthole would be clenched so tight if I did them that way, so so scared of getting too deep. Although, with a precut, there is still trimming. I suppose it would be easier to stretch a bulk piece, but holy scary, to cut into an $80,000 car such as a GTR gives me chills. BTW, the GTR was easy.

You guys are the kings of PPF. Maybe, MAYBE, I'll try it your way.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always used bulk install method. That is the way I learned to do it. Didn't have kits back then. Most of my cuts are done in open spaces so I can wrap the remainder around the edges instead of cutting them off. I have installed a few kits over the years, for customers who thought they could do them themselves and found out they could not, I have yet to be pleased with any kit that I have seen. I suppose it's because I am used to not seeing gaps along edges of my installs.

To those of you who hand cut PPF... :twocents . My butthole would be clenched so tight if I did them that way, so so scared of getting too deep. Although, with a precut, there is still trimming. I suppose it would be easier to stretch a bulk piece, but holy scary, to cut into an $80,000 car such as a GTR gives me chills. BTW, the GTR was easy.

In my ever to be humble opinion, I think that ANY hand cutting on a car is a bad thing, especially when you have a pre-cut pattern. I don't care how good you THINK you are, you can and will cut the paint. The technology used in creating patterns today is good enough that you shouldn't HAVE to trim a a pre-cut pattern. If you do, you didn't install it properly. If you are bulking a car to get rid of seams and such, it is because your film or your pattern sucks. For example, the only way to do a one piece bumper on most cars with 3M film is by bullking it, stretching the crap out of it and using a steamer. There are a lot of installers out there that think you can use any pattern for any film. This is simply false. The pattern must be designed SPECIFICALLY to work with in the limits of the film that is installed. This is why there are so many "Wal-Mart" paint protection jobs being done and it is ruining the industry.

To those of you who hand cut PPF... :dunno . My butthole would be clenched so tight if I did them that way, so so scared of getting too deep. Although, with a precut, there is still trimming. I suppose it would be easier to stretch a bulk piece, but holy scary, to cut into an $80,000 car such as a GTR gives me chills. BTW, the GTR was easy.

In my ever to be humble opinion, I think that ANY hand cutting on a car is a bad thing, especially when you have a pre-cut pattern. I don't care how good you THINK you are, you can and will cut the paint. The technology used in creating patterns today is good enough that you shouldn't HAVE to trim a a pre-cut pattern. If you do, you didn't install it properly. If you are bulking a car to get rid of seams and such, it is because your film or your pattern sucks. For example, the only way to do a one piece bumper on most cars with 3M film is by bullking it, stretching the crap out of it and using a steamer. There are a lot of installers out there that think you can use any pattern for any film. This is simply false. The pattern must be designed SPECIFICALLY to work with in the limits of the film that is installed. This is why there are so many "Wal-Mart" paint protection jobs being done and it is ruining the industry.

I have seen different kits for the same cars. Some cover more area than others. There are some kits that I have done where no trimming is necessary. However, with the program I use, I can change the sizes of patterns to make it a little easier on me. On some hoods, I make the pattern wider than necessary so I can strech it over problem spots, then trim the excess. I don't mean to be a d*ck, but I find it hard to believe that every kit that you apply, you don't have to trim. I certainly don't claim to be an expert b/c I have only been doing PPF for two years now. As far as those who "bulk" cut, sure they can mess up and cut too deep. However, the film can hide fine scratches. I use first cut. I'd be happy to know which one you use, and if the kits are better, maybe I will switch. Or maybe I need more practice. :twocents

Guest tintmanlibby
And let's not forget kits are NEVER wrong. This happened to me today.

damn though's kit's bulk it ! beside's you save a hell of alot more money buying in bulk than paying $200.00 plus for a single kit :rollin

Archived