should you bring it to their attention ?

Got a good job in a outdoor retail mall with good profit. Putting on 50% so not too dark or reflective. But no other stores are tinted so I have a feeling they arent allowed . Things are slow so I need the job . Should I bring it to their attention that the outdoor mall might not allow tinting on there windows ? I usually tell home owners to check with there home association .

Got a good job in a outdoor retail mall with good profit. Putting on 50% so not too dark or reflective. But no other stores are tinted so I have a feeling they arent allowed . Things are slow so I need the job . Should I bring it to their attention that the outdoor mall might not allow tinting on there windows ? I usually tell home owners to check with there home association .

I see your point, but if it were me, I would feel it is their responsibility to think of that and get approval. I wouldn't say anything, you would get paid and not carry that type of liability.

Guest Solscreen

I see your point, but if it were me, I would feel it is their responsibility to think of that and get approval. I wouldn't say anything, you would get paid and not carry that type of liability.

Fair point, but you could offer them a lighter film, something with a 70%

Let me put it this way:

You are working as a conractor on a job. The General contractor for the job has hired you. Do you then go to him and ask if he has the proper permits, his insurance paid up, or his bills paid? The answer is no. When working for a retail store, it is not your responsibility to deal with issues pertaining to the property management company who rent the space. Go in and do the work, be sure to get a signed contract with purchase order numbers on it if you need. This guarantees your payment. Of all the retail stores I have done, non have ever had to deal with the building owner or management company on ths subject. The only thing that property owners have in most leases is that anything added to the building must be removeable without damage to the building when the tenant leaves.

Bringing this to the stores attention can lose you much work for everytime you do it. There may be no issue with the property owner, but the store ownermay get skiddish and shy away from the installation. My advice, do the installation and get paid. The only issues you should bring up are issues pertaining to safe film choices(for glass breakage) and care of the finished product.

Good Luck on it!!!!

Guest filmslayer

Well said custom , maybe none of the other stores have film because they've not been educated yet :thumb . This could be a good chance to pull more work out of this one job , Just my :beer ....

Let me put it this way:

You are working as a conractor on a job. The General contractor for the job has hired you. Do you then go to him and ask if he has the proper permits, his insurance paid up, or his bills paid? The answer is no. When working for a retail store, it is not your responsibility to deal with issues pertaining to the property management company who rent the space. Go in and do the work, be sure to get a signed contract with purchase order numbers on it if you need. This guarantees your payment. Of all the retail stores I have done, non have ever had to deal with the building owner or management company on ths subject. The only thing that property owners have in most leases is that anything added to the building must be removeable without damage to the building when the tenant leaves.

Bringing this to the stores attention can lose you much work for everytime you do it. There may be no issue with the property owner, but the store ownermay get skiddish and shy away from the installation. My advice, do the installation and get paid. The only issues you should bring up are issues pertaining to safe film choices(for glass breakage) and care of the finished product.

Good Luck on it!!!!

But at the same time, it may be that the store owner isnt even aware of a possible limitation on tint. They may know about limitations on auto tint, but not even consider that to be a possible issue when it comes to commercial properties. He does the job, gets his money, then the shop owner finds out, and has to not only remove the tint, but is out the money he paid for the job. How is that going to reflect on the tint shop? I know in the town I live in, word gets around fast, people talk. It can be said that I am a good shop owner who respects his clients enough to warn them about possible problems, or that I am a business that is just out to get the money and run...sorry about your losses.

I look at this the same as putting tint on a window that you know is going to break it. The customer, most times, is not aware of what film will do what. They pick what they think they want. We know what it will do to the glass. Sticking with your analogy, do we ask if they have their insurance paid up? do we make sure there is no lein on the house or business and that their mortgage/rent is paid in full? The answer is no. But it is my responsibility as a professional in this industry, to make my customer aware of things they may not be, that pertain to how the job I do may effect them....either financially or otherwise.

I would be sure to tell the customer of the possible problem. If there is nothing in their lease about tinting, you are golden and you get the job. Not only that, but the business owner looks at you as a trustworthy professional, that is concerned about their clients and is willing to put their interest first instead of their bank account. THEN, if the other businesses see the tint and start asking questions, who do you think is going to get the referal? On the other hand, if the tint is not allowed, and you lose the job, the customer is relieved that they didnt make a costly mistake that they werent even aware of. Again, you were willing to put the clients interests first and not your bank account.

If the business in question was being run by your grandmother/mother/sister or anyone you care for Custom, and they were in another town/state....would you want the tint company to inform them? or just take the money and run, like you just suggested you would do.

I honestly wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I had things like that on my conscience. :thumb

Let me put it this way:

Good Luck on it!!!!

But at the same time, it may be that the store owner isnt even aware of a possible limitation on tint. They may know about limitations on auto tint, but not even consider that to be a possible issue when it comes to commercial properties. He does the job, gets his money, then the shop owner finds out, and has to not only remove the tint, but is out the money he paid for the job. How is that going to reflect on the tint shop? I know in the town I live in, word gets around fast, people talk. It can be said that I am a good shop owner who respects his clients enough to warn them about possible problems, or that I am a business that is just out to get the money and run...sorry about your losses.

I look at this the same as putting tint on a window that you know is going to break it. The customer, most times, is not aware of what film will do what. They pick what they think they want. We know what it will do to the glass. Sticking with your analogy, do we ask if they have their insurance paid up? do we make sure there is no lein on the house or business and that their mortgage/rent is paid in full? The answer is no. But it is my responsibility as a professional in this industry, to make my customer aware of things they may not be, that pertain to how the job I do may effect them....either financially or otherwise.

I would be sure to tell the customer of the possible problem. If there is nothing in their lease about tinting, you are golden and you get the job. Not only that, but the business owner looks at you as a trustworthy professional, that is concerned about their clients and is willing to put their interest first instead of their bank account. THEN, if the other businesses see the tint and start asking questions, who do you think is going to get the referal? On the other hand, if the tint is not allowed, and you lose the job, the customer is relieved that they didnt make a costly mistake that they werent even aware of. Again, you were willing to put the clients interests first and not your bank account.

If the business in question was being run by your grandmother/mother/sister or anyone you care for Custom, and they were in another town/state....would you want the tint company to inform them? or just take the money and run, like you just suggested you would do.

I honestly wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I had things like that on my conscience. :thumb

I have to agree that the money can keep you hush hush , but you could be putting yourself in a situation that could give your shop a black eye!!

Let me put it this way:

Good Luck on it!!!!

I have to agree that the money can keep you hush hush , but you could be putting yourself in a situation that could give your shop a black eye!!

Damn, you guys make a good point. I didn't think about it that way. I like honesty. But to be honest, I have bid many commercial places and just not thought of it not being allowed. Let me say this, when I signed the lease for my shop, I read the agreement before signing. If you do a job for someone and it says in their lease agreement tinting is not allowed, and they do it anyway, the either don't care or didn't read the agreement. So I still say, bid the job and if you get the contract, do it.

It's just like this mortgage bs. People signing for a loan on a $400,000 house when they make $60,000 a year. The math doesn't add up. If you don't read what you are signing, then you are being irresponsible.

Guest blazincaraudio

Very well said "one slick tinter". :beer I didn't think about it like that. My first thought woulda been to do it and just expect that the shop owner know about the building he is leasing but you made some very good points. Good thinkin :thumb

Very well said "one slick tinter". :lol2 I didn't think about it like that. My first thought woulda been to do it and just expect that the shop owner know about the building he is leasing but you made some very good points. Good thinkin :beer

what....you thought Ric kept me around for my looks? :thumb

:lol2:beer:lol2

Archived