Contractors Licence

boomer

Im just curious if you are required to be a licenced contractor to do business in your state. As of now we are not required to be in Connecticut but I think that may change in the near future. How about your state and what is your feelings about this. More government or good for business and consumer?

Thanks V. That is useful. It amazes me how different business practices are from state to state. There are a lot of crooks out there and that is why I stayed away from doing business in some states. We don't have to be licensed here in CT but I think that will change. I am seeing a large amount of film installers surge into our area and its probably all the morons that went to Fla that have seen business plummet and are now back here with there new found trade. Ready, Ill bet to dump there *hit practices in our market. This appears to be another draw back to not having a licenses. People who drift in and out. Well now that winter is almost here hopefully that will chase them back south.

Guest maddtinter
Thanks V. That is useful. It amazes me how different business practices are from state to state. There are a lot of crooks out there and that is why I stayed away from doing business in some states. We don't have to be licensed here in CT but I think that will change. I am seeing a large amount of film installers surge into our area and its probably all the morons that went to Fla that have seen business plummet and are now back here with there new found trade. Ready, Ill bet to dump there *hit practices in our market. This appears to be another draw back to not having a licenses. People who drift in and out. Well now that winter is almost here hopefully that will chase them back south.
In California you are required to have a license.I own a auto tint shop and I will give all flat glass referrals to only a licensed company.I have definitely noticed since the economy has gone bad more auto tinters are offering flat glass.I have contacted some of the flat glass contractors to make them aware that these unlicensed contractors are making it more difficult for them and me as well.It is so important for a flat glass contractor to present their credentials at first contact.This not only provides their credibilty but will hopefully stop these auto tint shops from generating revenue to help their expenses.
Guest vclimber

The best thing that can happen in your state is for there to be a law requiring FG companies to be licensed. The next best thing is to educate consumers to not do business with unlicensed contractors. If these two things alone were to happen it would weed out a lot of the crooks in this industry. I know of a lot of unlicensed contractors doing FG, there are even a few that are members here. :dunno It's not a perfect solution but it is better than nothing, we as business persons need to stand behind it and comply.

Guest maddtinter
The best thing that can happen in your state is for there to be a law requiring FG companies to be licensed. The next best thing is to educate consumers to not do business with unlicensed contractors. If these two things alone were to happen it would weed out a lot of the crooks in this industry. I know of a lot of unlicensed contractors doing FG, there are even a few that are members here. :dunno It's not a perfect solution but it is better than nothing, we as business persons need to stand behind it and comply.
:beer
Guest Bulldog
The best thing that can happen in your state is for there to be a law requiring FG companies to be licensed. The next best thing is to educate consumers to not do business with unlicensed contractors. If these two things alone were to happen it would weed out a lot of the crooks in this industry. I know of a lot of unlicensed contractors doing FG, there are even a few that are members here. :bingo It's not a perfect solution but it is better than nothing, we as business persons need to stand behind it and comply.

v...I've hung film for 22 years. If my state required a contractors license, would I have to learn how to wire and plumb a house??? If it made me more valuable, I guess I could make that investment.

Guest vclimber
The best thing that can happen in your state is for there to be a law requiring FG companies to be licensed. The next best thing is to educate consumers to not do business with unlicensed contractors. If these two things alone were to happen it would weed out a lot of the crooks in this industry. I know of a lot of unlicensed contractors doing FG, there are even a few that are members here. :bingo It's not a perfect solution but it is better than nothing, we as business persons need to stand behind it and comply.

v...I've hung film for 22 years. If my state required a contractors license, would I have to learn how to wire and plumb a house??? If it made me more valuable, I guess I could make that investment.

There is more to obtaining a contractor's license than learning a building trade. Licensees are bonded for one, they are required to become familiar with certain business practices, building codes, and things that pertain to consumer safety. -Imo that is a good investment. :lol2

Archived