66 plymouth baracuda

tint_audiopros

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest maddtinter
Better you than me :drevil it will make for a cleaner,better install if it is removed ...The one I did was out and I wet shrank it...

The one I worked on the gasket was original.The car had been rescued from a ranch.It was not worth trying to replace the gasket.If the car was in better condition the customer was going to replace the gasket but he didn't.He had replaced the rear carpet kit 3 times in 10 years he was tired of the carpet fading.

Did it just as planned its all shrunk, ready for install. I'm crossing my fingers :hmmm

What film?

qdp-5

I did one less than 6 months ago.Here is what I did.Right were the window curves at the top(lower part of curve) I ran seam to the bottom about 3 inches in from the side corner.I think my side pieces were about 16 inches wide then one large center piece.Yah, it took 3 pieces.Install the large piece first then either side.I tried to get it one piece but I ran into problems on the sides.When I layed the film on the outside it looked like one piece would work,but it didn't.I use Llumar ATR film.It did take about 10 hours from first attempt to completion.
I was able to get the one piece install about 85% then it creased.The sides would not form to the curve towards the front of the car.

bingo actually got atleast 90% layed down even one whole side and top corner, the other side , the film was so stressed it wouldn't go creased on me. Im tinting all other side windows then telling customer only way is to have it removed :lol2 im whooped

Better you than me :drevil it will make for a cleaner,better install if it is removed ...The one I did was out and I wet shrank it...

thats my guess

Guest maddtinter

I hope you find the reply to your question helpful.As I said I spent WAY TOO LONG on that window.My ego was telling me not to give up.When I first started tinting over 20 years ago I learned how to overlap then butt seam.Some late model Benz SEL models I would tint with 1 large center and 2 sides doing an overlap seam.Back then either the shrinking technique was not known or I was not taught how to do it.

Guest tintgod
Did it just as planned its all shrunk, ready for install. I'm crossing my fingers :)

What film?

qdp-5

I did one less than 6 months ago.Here is what I did.Right were the window curves at the top(lower part of curve) I ran seam to the bottom about 3 inches in from the side corner.I think my side pieces were about 16 inches wide then one large center piece.Yah, it took 3 pieces.Install the large piece first then either side.I tried to get it one piece but I ran into problems on the sides.When I layed the film on the outside it looked like one piece would work,but it didn't.I use Llumar ATR film.It did take about 10 hours from first attempt to completion.
I was able to get the one piece install about 85% then it creased.The sides would not form to the curve towards the front of the car.

bingo actually got atleast 90% layed down even one whole side and top corner, the other side , the film was so stressed it wouldn't go creased on me. Im tinting all other side windows then telling customer only way is to have it removed :drevil im whooped

Better you than me :lol2 it will make for a cleaner,better install if it is removed ...The one I did was out and I wet shrank it...

thats my guess

I told you to have it removed....but I do give you props for trying it...I would have done the same. :hmmm

Guest maddtinter
Did it just as planned its all shrunk, ready for install. I'm crossing my fingers :)

What film?

qdp-5

bingo actually got atleast 90% layed down even one whole side and top corner, the other side , the film was so stressed it wouldn't go creased on me. Im tinting all other side windows then telling customer only way is to have it removed :drevil im whooped

Better you than me :lol2 it will make for a cleaner,better install if it is removed ...The one I did was out and I wet shrank it...

thats my guess

I told you to have it removed....but I do give you props for trying it...I would have done the same. :hmmm

The problem with removing that back glass are not worth doing it.Tearing the gasket,breaking the window,scratching the car,etc.IMO.

Guest tintgod

What film?

qdp-5

bingo actually got atleast 90% layed down even one whole side and top corner, the other side , the film was so stressed it wouldn't go creased on me. Im tinting all other side windows then telling customer only way is to have it removed :dunno im whooped

Better you than me :40 it will make for a cleaner,better install if it is removed ...The one I did was out and I wet shrank it...

thats my guess

I told you to have it removed....but I do give you props for trying it...I would have done the same. :beer

The problem with removing that back glass are not worth doing it.Tearing the gasket,breaking the window,scratching the car,etc.IMO.

that is why you have a professional do it..or have the customer set it up with a professional glass installer/remover do it...that way...if anything goes wrong..it is on them and not you.

Guest maddtinter
Did it just as planned its all shrunk, ready for install. I'm crossing my fingers :dunno

What film?

qdp-5

bingo actually got atleast 90% layed down even one whole side and top corner, the other side , the film was so stressed it wouldn't go creased on me. Im tinting all other side windows then telling customer only way is to have it removed :beer im whooped

Better you than me :) it will make for a cleaner,better install if it is removed ...The one I did was out and I wet shrank it...

thats my guess

I told you to have it removed....but I do give you props for trying it...I would have done the same. :40

that is why you have a professional do it..or have the customer set it up with a professional glass installer/remover do it...that way...if anything goes wrong..it is on them and not you.

Even the very best glass shop wouldn't want to take on the liability.I have worked with a shop that specializes in complete restorations.Unless they have an OEM gasket they simply will not touch it.I will look for my pic of the one I did.

thanks tg and everyone else for the tips & moral support. I did in fact get this car done, I did take maddtinters advice (thankyou) & did the vertical seams after trying to one piece twice wasting atlease 12' of film & the customer was actually extremely happy therefore so was I ! Will post pics tomorrow.

Archived