Plotter users

I tried this today and it worked!!

I use a Roland Camm-1Pro plotter. I replace the teflon strip every 3-4 weeks. It was looking pretty bad today, so I decided to try and get the groove out of it by sanding it. I used some light sandpaper and rubbed over the strip until the groove disappeared. It looks like a new strip. I bet I can get 2-3 months out of this strip by sanding it.

Guest mortist

If you are going through teflon strips that fast then your blade depth and pressure are not setup properly. In the last 5 years I have only changed the teflon strip half a dozen times.

What kind of film are you cutting and how much volume are you doing?

If you are going through teflon strips that fast then your blade depth and pressure are not setup properly. In the last 5 years I have only changed the teflon strip half a dozen times.

What kind of film are you cutting and how much volume are you doing?

Madico CH 35/20. I do about 175-200 cars a month. I have the pressure at 130, and you can't even feel the blade coming out of the holder. I have tried many different ways to set it up but this way is the only way it will cut best. I can certainly use the strip longer by adjusting, but the strip less than $5. Maybe our strips are different??

Roland Camm-1pro

Guest mortist

We cut LLumar ATC, ATX, ATR, and some Formula One; for the LLumar I usually have the pressure set around 150-160 and the Formula One is around 130. I have the blade setup in a similar way, with it barely sticking out. We might do a little less volume than you, probably 50-100 sedans and 100-150 truck tints in a busy month.

I know that the first few weeks of a new blade and new teflon strip can be a little bit troublesome, but I do adjust the pressure up and pull the blade a little further out if it starts to skip spots. After that it seems to cut fine for several months. I just hate trying to clean all the glue out of the channel so the new strip will lay perfectly flat!

Yeah, the glue sucks. Time consuming. You know, everyday I get to work, I do test cuts. And sometimes it's perfect, like the day before, but a lot of times I have to re-adjust. I decided today to replace the sanded teflon strip with a new one, and a new blade. I cut 3 patterns for a Sentra, after config, and they weeded like butter. Then I cut 3 Maximas, 2 hours later, with no adjustments, and had to weed using my olfa. You know, most days, I love the plotter. Others, like today, I hated it. I had 3 patterns that sucked azz today.

I am new to the plotter scene. I have only used one for 6 months. Any pointers would be appreciated. I always thought, like others here, I was faster than a plotter. After using one, I know I was fooling myself.

Guest mortist

One thing that was screwing my patterns for along time was the blade holder, is your blade holder black plastic and cheap looking? Or is it a newer solid metal design?

My plastic blade holder was worn out and after I replaced it with the metal one, perfect cuts. It also helps to pull the blade out every couple of patterns and blow all the dust out of it, also once a month pull the blade out and put just a LITTLE drop of oil inside the blade holder. Also watch what speed you have it set at, I never do anything more than 30-50 on the speed.

When used properly, the plotter can save you alot of time. It works really well for my application because I am tinting the same model of cars all day long, so I can have 5-10 full cars ready to install.

We have recently started using the same plotter for cutting vinyl stickers, which is another pretty cool benefit!

You know what, I never thought about the cut speed. I think its set at 25cm/s, it says upspeed. I guess thats the speed it cuts right. I have the plastic holder. Will it really make a difference with the metal one?

It saves me a ton of time also. Many people here don't like them, and swear they can cut faster. I posted a challege for those who tink they can. I told them to come to me and we will race. If I lose, I will pay $100. Ive had no takers.

Guest mortist

I would go ahead and order a new blade holder, the metal one has been redesigned. What happens is the bearings inside the holder will wear out and cause the blade to get sloppy when making cuts. I was having similar problems to what you are describing last year, before I replaced the blade holder. I think its worth it!

I've read alot of the flame wars on plotters and I could really care less what everyone else is saying, at the end of the week I take home a paycheck just like they do so does it really matter?? I never hand cut anything and I can have a four door car done in around 45-60 minutes, I have zero come backs and I leave a micro edge on every door.

If the customer is happy, who cares how the tint got put on the glass???

Brandon

Guest mortist

Oh-

I think there are two settings for speed, the upspeed in the menu and the speed button on the main keypad. I think I have both of mine set to 30 right now, I have done as fast as 55 on both but it gets a little scary and makes it very easy to crease the film and cause bad cut quality.

Archived