vinal on dot matrix or not

Guest tintmanlibby

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do both glue and vinyl, but each car is different, so I may vinyl an older Mustang, yet glue a 2 dr Civic. In fact, I had a custy a couple years back that had her Honda Accord coupe tinted by another company, but came to me to fix the dots because I tinted her neighbors car and used vinyl on the matrix dots. Not a week later I got a call from a tinter in Santa Monica, who had originally done that Accord coupe and asked what I used on the dots, that made his customer so happy.

Guest oasisglatint
do you lay the finyl over the film on the inside then? does it stick to the film ok?

I personally do. I overlap the vinyl ONTO the film...... bout an 1/8 to 1/4 inch at most. Holds just fine.

I like to get the custy back for the vinyl, after about a week or so, to let the film dry thouroughly. If they push for same day, I do the film first and let it bake outside, or dry with the lamp, and then lay the vinyl. Pic above was about 8 yrs old :twocents

Guest darkdan
do you lay the finyl over the film on the inside then? does it stick to the film ok?

I overlap the vinyl over the film.

I would like a how to step by step on a vinyl matrix.

DD what is cast vinyl, and how is it different?

There's two ways to make vinyl. Calendered they roll it out like pizza dough so it's in a stretched shape. Over time it will shrink (especially when it gets hot). Cast is melted down and poured out. It doesn't shrink nearly as much. Basically it's like the difference between a color stable and 3 year film.

Even though cast is expensive it only adds a few bucks to the cost of the car. Well worth it to make the customer happy.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I've always used 3m electrocut 725 series black vinyl, the one with the clear liner. Tried a few other vinyl's when experimenting and none worked as good as the 725.

I use Arlon high performance EF vinyl film. I usually make a template from the film liner, then cut the vinyl a bit bigger. Trim the tint. freehand just below the dots, use a hard card on the edge, maybe set it in the sun for a 1/2 hour, then apply the vinyl. Of course, prior to applying the tint, I used a fine grit sandpaper on the dots. The vinyl goes over the edge of the film, but you must be VERY careful to not get the backside of the vinyl liner wet. Use extra baby shampoo in your mix when you tack the vinyl on. The dots tend to 'stick' the vinyl on contact. Squeegee carefully and voila!!!

I personally don't like the way vinyl looks on the outside and especially the inside and most of my customers seem to agree. To me it looks like another different shade that has been added to the back glass and that little white seam will always be there. That being said I do use vinyl when absolutely necessary, some cars the film just refuses to lay down. But never a Honda, Corvette, and definately no BMWs. Sanding isn't an option either, just heat and pressure to make it lay down as conform as possible.

Archived