3M Crystalline Window Film

Guest Litespeeds

Guest Litespeeds

I am seriously thinking about purchasing some 3M Crystalline 70%. This stuff has a TSER of 50% but is measured at a specific angle. I really wish all companies will test their films back to back at the same facility so we can really get some TRUE Specs. In any case, this stuff is suppose to be pretty good but also pretty expensive.

I am currently carrying V-Kool 70% and now since the G3 version came out, we no longer have to edge seal. Dollar per dollar, the 3M is actually a little bit more expensive per square feet than the VK70 so I wanted to get some opinions from others who have been using or are currently using the 3M Crystalline line of film.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
I am seriously thinking about purchasing some 3M Crystalline 70%. This stuff has a TSER of 50% but is measured at a specific angle. I really wish all companies will test their films back to back at the same facility so we can really get some TRUE Specs. In any case, this stuff is suppose to be pretty good but also pretty expensive.

I am currently carrying V-Kool 70% and now since the G3 version came out, we no longer have to edge seal. Dollar per dollar, the 3M is actually a little bit more expensive per square feet than the VK70 so I wanted to get some opinions from others who have been using or are currently using the 3M Crystalline line of film.

The film can do some amazing stuff for a 70%vlt and no metal is always a plus. The problem is the film construction... Crystalline is basically Prestige designed for automotive so you have the same inherent problems with the dye layer in the hardcoat and the multi-stack layer being susceptible to delamination when introduced to ammonia, acetone based cleaners, alcohol, and the occasional pooches' nose.

The VK is stable now that G3 is out, it works (one of the highest LSG ratios out there), it is cheaper... the only problems are heat forming and the occasional RF issue.

Do a search on here and you'll find out some interesting stuff.

An independent 3rd party is finally testing and publishing results and laying down the smack certifications:

http://cpd.nfrc.org/search/apd_film/film_search_default.aspx

Do you know how to interpret these results? :rollin

Guest teamfutaba

I sell quite a bit of crystalline 70. the problem is getting it... as for the performance, not one complaint. we do a lot of W/S. right now we have a waiting list for the next delivery. on a personal note, if viewed from an angle on a W/S you do see distortion. we show custys before hand and let the decide.

Guest darkdan
Sure, that number is lower.....we win.

So you are saying that those NFRC #'s can be used for automotive specs?

No. Just for what's listed under the application column.

But it does a good job of leveling the playing field for comparing the numbers. Much better than what's published in the sample book.

I actually didn't notice he was talking about crystalline and automotive until just now. I tend to group crystalline/prestige together in my head.

Guest Litespeeds

Thanks for the responses guys. I am not really sure how to read those numbers. I have been using V-Kool 70% and also Huper Optik ceramic films at my shop and was looking for a cheaper and or better alternative. The reason why I am even considering the 3M Crystalline is because of their 50% special. I am sure 3M will warranty any problems but I would hate to have a major failure in the future. Then again, I am only planning on selling this film for the front doors only since California only allows a combined VLT of 70%. I know it is not legal but I have never had any customer's get pulled over for having VK70 so this is just a substitute that I can sell to my customer's for a lower price.

Archived