Tint fading and changing colors.

Guest hometheaterman

Guest hometheaterman

I know in the past when I've asked about this that I was always told a quality tint will never change colors but will start just fading. Have you guys actually experienced this? The reason I'm really wondering what my tint is going to look like 5 years from now is I have several buddies that have their trucks tinted one of them being the best tint job I've ever seen so I kind of doubt that super cheap tint was used but I could be wrong. Others seem to all be pretty good tint jobs. All of them have started changing colors. Now most of them are fairly dark tint as in 20% or so. One of them is 2 layers of 5% on the rear and like a 35% or 50% on the front. It hasn't changed colors but looks clear now. One truck from the outside it looks slightly blue but doesn't look too bad but if you look from the inside out it has a big blue tint to it. Another has a slight blueish purplish tint to it when you look out. Looking from the outside at the windows they all have a hint of blueish purple but not as bad as looking inside out. Another one has 35% or so and is pretty purple. I'm assuming this is just cheap tint. Then another buddy has 2 layers of 5% on the rear windows of his truck which looks purple when you look out also but black with just a hint of purple when looking in. The front two windows were either a 35% or 50% and have basically just turned clear. Almost all of them you can notice when looking in but it's not nearly as bad as when looking out. As in just a hint of the color looking in but when inside the truck looking out you can really notice it. I also had 35% on my truck that started fading and turning purplish blue that has since been removed. Now I don't know what kind of tint was used on any of these but being that some of them especially one of them are the best tint job I've ever seen and the rest are all pretty good tint jobs I find it hard to believe they all had cheap tint used. I'm the only one I know with tint less than a year or so old. The others have had the tint probably 5-8 years if not longer than that. Some of them may have had it 10 years or so but not sure. Now none of these are the horrible bad purple like the Wal-Mart tint but they all have purple or blue to them and quite a bit of it when looking from the inside out and all of them you can tell looking from the outside in.

Is this what I should expect my tint to look like in 5-10 years or has the technology come far enough that it's not going to do this? I've read about quality tints fading until they are eventually clear but not changing colors. Is this what I should expect or am I going to have it start changing colors? Or are all of theirs just inferior tint?

Another thing that worries me is all of them have the tint badly scratched in places from over the years which I'm not looking forward to. Mine already has some scratches but I figure I just have to try to be careful with it.

Guest oasisglatint

Wow :spam

I think I get what your ask'in.

All tint will fade. Period.

Some will way worse/quicker than others. I have never used a film that went clear, I have seen it tho. It's IMPOSSIBLE to know how it may look down the road without knowing a. the brand used b. the series applied c. how long it's been on now. AND even then, it's a crap-shoot.

Scratches in film are "pilot error". Don't hit/poke/stab/whack it with sharp pointy shat...... and you'll be fine.

Tell your friends, if they are 5-8 years in, and the tint is looking "descent" then they did ok. Keep it on till its looks questionable, and start again. Do some research on the next 1 tho. MAKE SURE you not only get a name brand film, but you get that brands "top tier" of film, they all carry :gasp , :jerkit . AND..... see your installers work........ BEFORE getting yours done.

:lol

Do you lay awake at night worrying about how you installed old outdated technology in your customers home theatre ??

Nothing lasts forever

:jerkit

the solargard film on my wife's car is 5 years old. it's faded 8% in VLT since I intalled it. still looks just fine. not purple or any other color. just fading....

old sunguard use to fade clear . Been using llumar ATR for since 97 and that holds up good . Thats the only reason I still by that overpriced film. All my competitors have gone to global or sunteck . Hope my customers appreciate it and come back but find people want the cheapest price nowadays .

Good point. I just wonder why they offer a lifetime warranty if it doesn't last a lifetime.

It's all a numbers game..

A small percentage of people actually keep their vehicles long enough to pay them off..

A smaller percentage keep their vehicles AND paperwork long enough to take advantage of the warranty

and yet and even smaller percentage keep their vehicles, paperwork, and fill it all out and mail it in properly to use the warranty...

So as long as the film can make it a couple years... chances are REAL small they will experience warranty claims... (with automotive anyways)

Good point. I just wonder why they offer a lifetime warranty if it doesn't last a lifetime.

The lifetime warranties are based on percentages! The average person that buys a car keeps that car between 2 and 5 years and the film industry knows this! They make films that will last just as long as that percentage! As soon as the person gets rid of that car there is no more warranty! The next person that gets the car and the film goes bad they have to go to a tint shop and get it replaced and it keeps us working! The people that have to use there warranty , the film companies pay us in film! Customers happy, we get another job, and it's a deduction for the film companies! :twocents

I havent been too much time in tinting to say that lifetime warranty tint fades or change color, but I was also told that everything fades. The time it takes to happen depends a lot of the film used. I have seen cheap tint fade and purple within a year. And the worst it is that the cheap tint is harder to remove lol. I think that the lifetime warranty is the average time a person keeps a car.

Archived