automotive film to residential storm door?

Guest OnTheDarkside

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest OnTheDarkside
Even if its a single payne?

Doubtful.

Great thanks, the responses have been very helpfull!

Oh ya, what would be the most appropriate film for such a window? (single payne storm door) (other than automotive film of course)

You can get MG05 which is a very black 5% flat glass film that is good for single pane flat from Johnson. They also have the Nightscape film line that is nice and "black" colored in a 15%, 25%, and 35%. If they don't want a mirror but a darker film then check those out. It will also be easier to install than an auto film as it has the dry adhesive instead of a PS one....

Doubtful.

doubtful uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm !! o well it cant be that much to by a new window :lol2

Done plenty of 10%vlt on single payne at high elevation (which is more intense uv and shg) and no problems yet. Why would you advise against it?

Guest tintmanlibby

Doubtful.

doubtful uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm !! o well it cant be that much to by a new window :lol2

Done plenty of 10%vlt on single payne at high elevation (which is more intense uv and shg) and no problems yet. Why would you advise against it?

it's alway's been told to me that 15 and 20 auto film is a no no for flat glass .ive never accually looked into it.

now that I think of it huper c20 is only preaproved for 8th inch single p. ,but that due to the high sa .

I would like to learn more on this subject .

I know that 5 and 10 and 35 and up is ok .,but like I said it's all here say on my end from people that I respect in the industry :lol2

Guest General Sun Shield

No expert here but I have installed dark nr films on sp lites many times without any problem. Sometimes its faulty glass. If the glass edge is smooth and chip free,glass will not

normally fail.However any additional stress to glass with poor edges may cause it to break with or without film installed.

Glass with edges chipped can loose up to 50% of it's normal strength. Obviosuly,glass with bad edges should not have been installed in the first place. Since you can not see the edges its a chance you take.

There was a report done years ago about glass breakage due to film "the Pittsburg Plate Glass Tech Service Report 101.

It stated that the potential for glass breakage in new film installations is 8/10 of 1%. So 8 out of every 1000 lites could break.

:lol2

Guest tintmanlibby
No expert here but I have installed dark nr films on sp lites many times without any problem. Sometimes its faulty glass. If the glass edge is smooth and chip free,glass will not

normally fail.However any additional stress to glass with poor edges may cause it to break with or without film installed.

Glass with edges chipped can loose up to 50% of it's normal strength. Obviosuly,glass with bad edges should not have been installed in the first place. Since you can not see the edges its a chance you take.

There was a report done years ago about glass breakage due to film "the Pittsburg Plate Glass Tech Service Report 101.

It stated that the potential for glass breakage in new film installations is 8/10 of 1%. So 8 out of every 1000 lites could break.

:lol2

myth buster's :lol2

Archived