Windshield strips???

Guest oasisglatint

The way I do them is kind of drawn out. I make a freezer paper pattern for them.First I use a wooden ruler with notches every half inch and a dry erase marker dragged across the top to make my bottom line.v1.jpgv2.jpgThen I use 1/4 masking tape lain across that line and the frit lines on the top and sides.v3.jpgI then lay plastic coated freezer paper across it (spray some water on the area first) cut it roughly over size, smooth it out, and draw the lines with a pen using the edge of the tape underneath as a guide for the pen onto the paper.v4.jpgThe edge of the masking tape under the paper will guide your pen.Transfer the paper to your cutting table, and draw the tapers onto it using something round like a roll of tape. Use the pattern to cut your film and install.This way takes a little longer but the results are always perfect.v5.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oasisglatint

The way I do them is kind of drawn out. I make a freezer paper pattern for them.

First I use a wooden ruler with notches every half inch and a dry erase marker dragged across the top to make my bottom line.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Then I use 1/4 masking tape lain across that line and the frit lines on the top and sides.

v3.jpg

I then lay plastic coated freezer paper across it (spray some water on the area first) cut it roughly over size, smooth it out, and draw the lines with a pen using the edge of the tape underneath as a guide for the pen onto the paper.

v4.jpg

The edge of the masking tape under the paper will guide your pen.

Transfer the paper to your cutting table, and draw the tapers onto it using something round like a roll of tape. Use the pattern to cut your film and install.

This way takes a little longer but the results are always perfect.

v5.jpg

:skit:?

I don't mark the glass tho. I make my mark right on my paper, then hand cut on my olfa mats. We mark where the custy wants it, width wise, b4 we start.... so its custom fit to the driver.

Ric......

I think I was trained by someone that may have crossed paths with you, or is connected somehow. I believe you tint like I do!

:?

Guest maddtinter

Lay the film on the outside.Cut the top.Take a compass(the one to make circles)attach a Sharpie to it.Use the top edge as a guide to mark the film.Trim off the excess at the table.

factory edge unless requested otherwise

I'm with Blade on this one! That is a cool way how you make them though Tintdude!! :thumb

I always use the factory edge and seriously I can't even remember when anyone asked me to do a contoured sunban! Each area might be different though!!

factory edge unless requested otherwise

I'm with Blade on this one! That is a cool way how you make them though Tintdude!! :lol2

I always use the factory edge and seriously I can't even remember when anyone asked me to do a contoured sunban! Each area might be different though!!

:?

I've always done factory edge, there is a guy in town that contours his and I don't like the way it looks on the outside like it's thicker in the middle and thinner on the edges, doesn't really look straight all the way across but im guessing it does from the inside :thumb

The way I do them is kind of drawn out. I make a freezer paper pattern for them.

First I use a wooden ruler with notches every half inch and a dry erase marker dragged across the top to make my bottom line.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Then I use 1/4 masking tape lain across that line and the frit lines on the top and sides.

v3.jpg

I then lay plastic coated freezer paper across it (spray some water on the area first) cut it roughly over size, smooth it out, and draw the lines with a pen using the edge of the tape underneath as a guide for the pen onto the paper.

v4.jpg

The edge of the masking tape under the paper will guide your pen.

Transfer the paper to your cutting table, and draw the tapers onto it using something round like a roll of tape. Use the pattern to cut your film and install.

v5.jpg

TOTW

Guest oasisglatint

v1.jpg Then I use 1/4 masking tape lain across that line and the frit lines on the top and sides.

v3.jpg

TD,

I got a tip 4 you........

On your next strip, instead of marking the glass, tape the sides and top, and mirror if needed, lay your paper and smoothe out. I used to use a drafting tool that had an adjustable pencil lead attached to an extended arm that you could use to set the width of the strip. Place the blunt side against the molding and adjust the lead to desired length, and drag across......... drawing the strip line on the paper.

I have bought I don't know how many of those $20 tools, have a problem with leaving them on the roof of the car :lol6:thumb

NOW, I use a chop stick :lol

I hold the stick at the end with 1 hand, and grab the stick at the desired length with the other, and grab a pen with the stick........ and slide along the molding while drawing on the paper. The line follows the same line as the windshield molding, and looks TOTALLY factory-the graduation.

It's the same as yours, just minus 1 step.

If this is too confusing, I'll post a pic at work tomorrow for an example.

Archived