Best Film to keep heat In/out ? (DIY)

Guest timc4444

Thanks for some help. I understand that you folks are professionals and that's why I asked. I understand that you, the professional, frown on the DIY types. I'm certain that my job will not look like your job. I consider all your advice to be educational.

I did do my bedroom and it came out fine. Comparing the specs with Solargard material and the material I used was helpful.

My windows are double paned, older technology windows that have leaks. It seems almost all of the vendors have Low-E products that are safe even if my windows were new.

I can notice a difference in the room. The extremes (cold/heat) have gone away. I was able at night to put my arm out of my bed and feel the cold radiating through the glass before.

Thanks again.

If you are happy with the results on THIS film then why are you asking about others?

What do you mean by "leaks"?? the seals are blown and you get moisture in them? if you are talking about air then you likely just need to caulk it up...

actual Low-E films are going to be expensive so be prepared. Most films will help with the heat loss....as another said check the "U" value....

Guest timc4444

Only after I read the helpful posts concerning Low E values and U values can you begin to realize film is not just film. Dealers have access to products that I can't get easily.

Happy Holidays

Guest timc4444

From the homepage:

"This site is mainly geared to window tinting professionals, not the 'do it yourselfer', but if you are committed and have reasonable expectations, this is an excellent place to learn the basics and make contacts with other tinters and suppliers."

I couldn't really care less whether you do it yourself or not. if fact most DIYers end up making us MORE money because of the R&R we end up with. I just wanted you to realize using the wrong film could end up causing glass breakage and/or seal failure.

Guest Kokomo Tint & Dent

ya know timc, I've been tinting autos for 5 years and all of these guys have scared even me out of doing res/comm jobs. Even though I think they've only had one problem per every couple hundred installs. I got overloaded by all of the extra b.s. and stuck to what I know. I would still do my windows myself, but I don't have dual pane windows.

Archived