removing tint

Guest RED

according to wickipedia this is how you remove window tint http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film under removal. So if this is right then all you need to do is drive down to south florida and the tint will just peel right off :twocents

This technique is for the rear window, with the defroster. One way to remove the film is to create humidity inside the vehicle. This is done by using soapy water, a black trash bag, and the sun.

I dont know if I have ever seen glue just dissolve with ammonia :poke ... oh yea and just wipe it off, must have been some of that garbage bag film from overseas.

The process involves heating the film with a hair dryer or a steamer to soften the adhesive, pulling the film off in small sections, and dissolving the glue with a strong ammonia solution which may then be wiped off.

I used a steamer when I first started, but I dont remember if it worked well or not. I always use a trash bag for back glass removal, even in the winter time as long as there is sun. If there is no sun, I will usually reschedule for a sunny day. If not, I use a trash bag and the defroster. It takes about 45 minutes before the film is ready to pull, but it can still be done. With the steamer, do you pull a corner of the film and then move the steamer back and forth on the film while you pull? Maybe I will get another one.

I used a steamer when I first started, but I dont remember if it worked well or not. I always use a trash bag for back glass removal, even in the winter time as long as there is sun. If there is no sun, I will usually reschedule for a sunny day. If not, I use a trash bag and the defroster. It takes about 45 minutes before the film is ready to pull, but it can still be done. With the steamer, do you pull a corner of the film and then move the steamer back and forth on the film while you pull? Maybe I will get another one.

I usually poke a tiny hole in the film put the steamer up to it. Within a couple minutes the film is separating from the glass, normally glue and all. This will create a round pocket. Sometimes these pockets get big and I like that less work afterwards. On a back glass do this in a couple different spots then the rest of it I get a hold of film and go back and forth and peel it off. Slow and steady let the steam do the work. Go back over with your method of choice to check for any glue that might be there and then prep it and retint it.

For purpling bubbling tint it still works pretty good but a little more patients is needed. So far so good, knock on wood no defrost lines ruined yet or any glass issues whatsoever. I really like the steamer. I charge minimum, 1 hour of labor and then go in 1/4 hour increments after that to get film removal price. So far every vehicle, since I started using the steamer, is less than an hour for complete removal. Custy is happy and so am I. The less hard work I have to do the better.

according to wickipedia this is how you remove window tint http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film under removal. So if this is right then all you need to do is drive down to south florida and the tint will just peel right off :evilgrin

This technique is for the rear window, with the defroster. One way to remove the film is to create humidity inside the vehicle. This is done by using soapy water, a black trash bag, and the sun.

I dont know if I have ever seen glue just dissolve with ammonia :thumb ... oh yea and just wipe it off, must have been some of that garbage bag film from overseas.

The process involves heating the film with a hair dryer or a steamer to soften the adhesive, pulling the film off in small sections, and dissolving the glue with a strong ammonia solution which may then be wiped off.

SO ummmm RED? What do you do to remove window tint? Wiki is spot on with the techniques they list....

according to wickipedia this is how you remove window tint http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film under removal. So if this is right then all you need to do is drive down to south florida and the tint will just peel right off :evilgrin

I dont know if I have ever seen glue just dissolve with ammonia :thumb ... oh yea and just wipe it off, must have been some of that garbage bag film from overseas.

SO ummmm RED? What do you do to remove window tint? Wiki is spot on with the techniques they list....

I was thinking the same thing with the back glass removal...but I dont use ammonia (too strong). I just use soap and water and occasionally simple pink (baller).

Guest Mo Evo

I actually have gotten great results removing tint with my heat gun and my h20/J&J spray bottle, in effect making my own version of a steamer. It removes the tint with the adhesive. Just start by heating the upper corner of the rear glass, then pick at it (or use a razor blade) to start. Spray water solution and use the heat underneath and start pulling slowly. You'll have to keep spraying just under the film and keep the heat just below. When it starts to 'steam' pull a little more, then spray again. It's a little more time consuming than an actual steamer, but it really works. I've started doing this because of the fog/overcast we've been having...no sun. Well, until today at least. Twas a beautiful if chilly day. My usual method is bagging it. For the bagging I use windex concentrate in a sprayer. There must be a crack-down by law enforcement on front window tint, because lately those have been taking up a lot of my time and before you say anything, these were on vehicles I did not tint in the first place!

Archived