Film not sticking

Guest drwest

Guest drwest

I just spent an hour searching and reading different threads but didn't get a solid answer or solution to today's dilemna (being a newbie sucks...every car is a dilemna it seems!).

Today was a '98 A4 with Carbon 18. Besides dealing with the dirt issues of a 100k mile 10 year old car, I had a roll up where the film just was peeling back after laying it...about 4 inches along the top near the inside edge. My solution wasn't too soapy I don't think (using J&J...about 4 squeezes in a 2qt Poly) because after only 2 or 3 passes with the squeegee the film was locked and I couldn't adjust it and although temp outside right now is -30 F (yeah...I haven't seen temps above 0 for two weeks now) we were about 65 in the shop. But I would lay it (end even heated the outside of the window right there) and it just slowly started coming back up...very wierd. I got it down long enough (I hope) to where I could roll the window up to finish it and thought it would stay.

Then on the backglass, I came back in after about 1/2 an hour after laying it and the right side was starting to peel away..even past the matrix and the film shrank fine and I prepped with steel wool and a scrubbie. And the backglass was sticking real quick on me as I was squeegeeing and adjusting so I am really at a loss. Although, I think that I might have had some issues also with film peeling back on a roll-up off this same roll on a Range last week (tired..can't recall). Can you get rolls where there are just problems like that? Though...why would it stick fine and tack quick on some areas and not these select spots if it were the roll?

Crap...I swear..tinting frustrates the hell out of me (at least to the standards I think it should be done to). I can clear bra 3 full front cars in the time it takes me to do one 4-dr with tint. Someday it will be quicker and easier....I HOPE :lol6

It all gets easier with time, no worries on that part. I've tinted in some cold temps with a few differnet brands without any issues like that. I would try another roll and try to replicate the conditions and see what happens, maybe call your rep and ask if there are issues with that roll #. I was never a big suntek dude but you dont hear many complaints here at all with Carbon.

:lol6

Yeah, its sounds like you have a bad roll of film. Have you used the same roll on other cars? Ive heard only good things about the Carbon line, which makes me want to start carrying ST again. Carbon is a PS adhesive film, so it should stick quickly. If it was a c type adhesive, I could understand the peeling off in cold weather.

Good luck

Guest drwest
Yeah, its sounds like you have a bad roll of film. Have you used the same roll on other cars? Ive heard only good things about the Carbon line, which makes me want to start carrying ST again. Carbon is a PS adhesive film, so it should stick quickly. If it was a c type adhesive, I could understand the peeling off in cold weather.

Good luck

I have...in fact the more I think about it I don't think it was the roll. I have gone through most of it now and the other day where I had problems with film peeling back was on a '08 335 coupe (not the Range Rover) where I was going to file the frameless window but that was different film (ADN 35%) and the problem I think was too much film overhang on a window that curves in pretty good so it wanted to flap back but I got it down fine after trimming it closer and letting it dry out a bit before filing. On this A4, it might have just been gunk on the windows in those particular areas and I might include a good solvent or citrus prep to all my cars just as a fail safe.

On a little side note....if the film does peel back a bit on say a roll-up...are there any remedies? On a Lexus GX I did (personal car), one roll-up has just a slight peel on the top edge about 1" long. Film isn't crinkled at all and isn't peeling back any further than just a hair although it is peeled far enough to where I couldn't just shave/trim the edge right there. I have just left it for a month now and it is still the same. I try to micro-edge pretty close to the top so it probably was just a hair too far up right there or a little piece of contam right there but can you glue it at all? I have heard about finger nail polish too? Hack fixes or it can be done (though not optimal)?

I sure do appreciate everyone helping answer newb questions and problems when I have them. Even after being trained and watching videos etc., I have learned just as much if not more here from you guys! :lol6

Guest tint51

Good luck

I have...in fact the more I think about it I don't think it was the roll. I have gone through most of it now and the other day where I had problems with film peeling back was on a '08 335 coupe (not the Range Rover) where I was going to file the frameless window but that was different film (ADN 35%) and the problem I think was too much film overhang on a window that curves in pretty good so it wanted to flap back but I got it down fine after trimming it closer and letting it dry out a bit before filing. On this A4, it might have just been gunk on the windows in those particular areas and I might include a good solvent or citrus prep to all my cars just as a fail safe.

On a little side note....if the film does peel back a bit on say a roll-up...are there any remedies? On a Lexus GX I did (personal car), one roll-up has just a slight peel on the top edge about 1" long. Film isn't crinkled at all and isn't peeling back any further than just a hair although it is peeled far enough to where I couldn't just shave/trim the edge right there. I have just left it for a month now and it is still the same. I try to micro-edge pretty close to the top so it probably was just a hair too far up right there or a little piece of contam right there but can you glue it at all? I have heard about finger nail polish too? Hack fixes or it can be done (though not optimal)?

I sure do appreciate everyone helping answer newb questions and problems when I have them. Even after being trained and watching videos etc., I have learned just as much if not more here from you guys! :angel

Is there anti fog on the glass.. may need a good cleaning..other than that I not sure..

If the film is peeling all you can do is trim it back to where its not peeling otherwise in time its going to keep peeling further. I'd personally redo the window, who wants work out there thats not top notch.

I used to come across the occasional window where it just seemed to get fubar'd for some reason beyond comprehension. I'd usually change my solution, take five and chill and hit it again with more attention to detail and it would be fine.

If the film is peeling all you can do is trim it back to where its not peeling otherwise in time its going to keep peeling further. I'd personally redo the window, who wants work out there thats not top notch.

I used to come across the occasional window where it just seemed to get fubar'd for some reason beyond comprehension. I'd usually change my solution, take five and chill and hit it again with more attention to detail and it would be fine.

exactly!

Archived