working for dealers

Guest tint stroker

Guest tint stroker

just wondering if anyone does or has worked for a car dealership... and the pro and cons... I have been tinting for for 4 years now and the small tint shop/Line-X shop isn't doing to hot right now... the dealership down the street has headhunter me into coming to work for them... they have a ford, dodge, chevy, mazda, and nissan dealerships all within 50 miles and has pretty much guaranteed that I would stay busy tinting... they have pretty much said I have been there best tinter that they have seen in a long time and praise all my work... but I have heard some bad things on here about actually working for the dealerships... is it really that bad? and how do you think I should asked to get paid salary vs hourly vs commissions? right now I get a hourly plus a small commission hmmm... this is a tough one for me ride out the tough times at my current place thats lacking in work and hope things pick up in the summer or buck-up and work at the dealerships gahhh ideas anyone?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will typically pay you on flag hour. You get x amount per hour flagged. I would try to get 2 hours or more for a 4 dr car and 1 hour for an suv 2 fronts. Its not bad money if you do all the cars on the lot. When I first learned to tint I worked at a dealership and made an average of $25-$30 an hour. The downside, they are gonna want you to work everyday they are open, or you will be on call on saturdays. I dont think its too bad though. The only bad thing I see is you have to work for someone and not yourself. Try and get setup as a contractor using your own business name. Tell them you will cover all the overhead. I would present it to the GM of the dealership. That way new cars will pay you instead if service paying you.

Guest Total tint

problem with dealer work is that while they sit there and make thousands on a car sale, they try to beat you up on price and act like they are doing you a favor :evilgrin

problem with dealer work is that while they sit there and make thousands on a car sale, they try to beat you up on price and act like they are doing you a favor :evilgrin

Yes, and I forgot to mention...it takes forever to get paid (unless you are an emplyee)

Personally, I would require payment upon completion each day if doing it as a Contractor.

Might seem like a bad idea, but with Dealers shutting down all the time now, only way to be sure you do not get stuck for work you will never be paid for.

Have to cover our own butts, no one else will do it for us !

Guest Total tint

Yes, and I forgot to mention...it takes forever to get paid (unless you are an emplyee)

:lol so unless you need to do it, stay away from it

I enjoy dealer work....I guess it really depends on the person. Takes some patience and decorum.......and just a touch of people skills.

If you are anti-social and dont do well in a large crowd of people....dealer work is not for you....... :rollin

Dealer work is good for giving private customers confidence in your ability but I charge them more than Joe public due to late payment and I always collect their vehicles they get premium service and pay accordingly.

Charge 20 % increase on your standard prices.

Archived