Tinting Time

Guest travis22

Guest travis22

I think you misunderstood. I mentioned the mazda 3 beacuse of the before mentioned fingers that can come up after you are finished. If I remember right I finished the mazda in under two hours, but the customer wasn't here. I usually allow 2-3 hours on any car I do that involves more than just the front two windows, as I'm not the fastest tinter. And even more so when it's a car I've never tinted before. I use a plotter and sometimes the patterens aren't correct and need to be adjusted, which again takes longer. Free handing would save me time, yes...but I was never taught how to do that and I'm the only one in our entire company that does window tinting and decals so it's a lot of trial and error for me, which is why I use this website and forum as my teacher. Thanks guys....and gals.

Guest shadedimage

Time doesnt matter anyway!! if it takes all day as long as it is done right!! when I started out, I kept the car over night sometimes!! Learn this trade in the dark is nightmare! Just takes time! The only difference a first year tinter & a 25 yr vet, is being there and doing it!!! Although those who started tinting in the 80s & early 90s had some hard cars to learn on!! Im glad they dont make em like some of those anymore!!! It wouldnt take me long to realize I was in the wrong bussiness!!! Heres to the ones who actually came up the hard way :thumb Its hard to follow an act like that!!But someday we have to try an fill those shoes!! Thanks for passin the torch!! Just take your time & learn a good routine of doing right & then build your speed!!! :nono

I think you misunderstood. I mentioned the mazda 3 beacuse of the before mentioned fingers that can come up after you are finished. If I remember right I finished the mazda in under two hours, but the customer wasn't here. I usually allow 2-3 hours on any car I do that involves more than just the front two windows, as I'm not the fastest tinter. And even more so when it's a car I've never tinted before. I use a plotter and sometimes the patterens aren't correct and need to be adjusted, which again takes longer. Free handing would save me time, yes...but I was never taught how to do that and I'm the only one in our entire company that does window tinting and decals so it's a lot of trial and error for me, which is why I use this website and forum as my teacher. Thanks guys....and gals.

You should learn to hand cut. You are worth more if you can cut em by hand. What happens if a car comes for tint that you dont have a pattern for? Its not hard to learn...talk to TintArtist. He has a great idea for first time "cutters". I use a plotter when Im at the dealership, but when I'm not, I hand cut. When I started, I was doing cars in over 2 hours. Now I can do them in an hour (sometimes a little more) hand cutting, and about 45 min with a plotter. New cars are better b/c they dont require so much cleaning, compared to a car 5-10 years old...which take a lot longer b/c of the prep time.

Archived