"Meters" .... does anyone use these?

Guest timbobelmo

If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, would you be interested in using it to measure the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) percentage? I just completed an application called ‘iTint’ , and should be available in the Apple App Store by the end of August 2009.

lmao.............this is comical

Is this one of these constructive criticism posts we should be making Sarah?

its funny to me.....it has to be like the pschology thing to make it work on a I-phone or touch

Actually the light source is the bottom half of the screen, which you place behind the tinted glass. The top half you adjust the brightness to visually match the bottom. Works great to measure relative brightness, I.e. you can get a number that let's you determine which object is darker. Of course everyone's eyes are different, so it's not 100% accurate. I was able to get some measurements off some samples I had using a Phantom Visible Transmission meter for the VLT, but the numbers are off using my app. This could be because the measurement of the VLT% is done on the entire visible spectrum, not just one color.

it would be much better as a windows mobile media app.. than a apple app...why lock it to apple...booooo-thumbs down...there is so many people that have other mobile media phones/pocket pc's....

One advantage Apple has is that if you have an iPod Touch (which is not a phone) you have no monthly charge. If this idea works, then it will be ported over to other mobile devices, like Blackberry, Palm Pre, Android, and Windows Mobile. Apple makes things easy for independent developers, unlike some of the other companies.

I have a I-paq by hp and works with most apps. that are pocket windows. I would be intersted in wotking with it, when its available for a pocket pc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, would you be interested in using it to measure the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) percentage? I just completed an application called ‘iTint’ , and should be available in the Apple App Store by the end of August 2009.

So how can it measure vlt without a 'known' light source to measure from ??? dunno.gif

Maybe you measure the light coming through a non-filmed window followed by a filmed unit. :thumb That would give you the comparison if you figured that the first was 100% (we know the glass removes some vlt, but for the test this would work) and then the second would be based on the reduction from the first. I do not know if that is how this app will work, but that might be one way. I am assuming that it will take the measurement with the camera? :coffee

OK. The app is now available on Apple's App Store. Check out my web site at http://www.hjchome.com/itint.html for a description of how it works. This app will work on an iPod Touch as well as an iPhone. With calibration, I can get within 5%.

I just saw this and if this app works I give big props to you for the idea and completion of the project :lol Now convince verizon to carry a iphone so I can get one

Apple just lowered the price of the 8GB iPod Touch to $199. The iPod Touch is not a phone, but iTint will work on it. No monthly charges on the iPod Touch.

OK. The app is now available on Apple's App Store. Check out my web site at http://www.hjchome.com/itint.html for a description of how it works. This app will work on an iPod Touch as well as an iPhone. With calibration, I can get within 5%.

I like the idea... but do you mean + or - 5% or +-2.5% (5% total) ??

and in order for it to work you need to be able to see the other side of the glass and operate the device at the same time ?? :lol

and in order for it to work you need to be able to see the other side of the glass and operate the device at the same time ?? :lol

With practice, you actually get better. I will be adding a practice mode in the updated version to help the user refine their skill. I am actually getting within +- 1% now. If you read the detailed instructions at http://www.hjchome.com/itintuse.html, you can see how it works. I've been showing the app at several local (San Diego, CA) companies that work in the tint/window business, and they are all interested.

and in order for it to work you need to be able to see the other side of the glass and operate the device at the same time ?? :headbang

With practice, you actually get better. I will be adding a practice mode in the updated version to help the user refine their skill. I am actually getting within +- 1% now. If you read the detailed instructions at http://www.hjchome.com/itintuse.html, you can see how it works. I've been showing the app at several local (San Diego, CA) companies that work in the tint/window business, and they are all interested.

A Demo version called 'iTint Lite' is now available on the App Store for free. The app randomly sets the bottom brightness (sometimes with a slight color tint), and you try to match the top as closely as possible before checking your results. Maybe I can make a game out of this later.

lmao.............this is comical

Is this one of these constructive criticism posts we should be making Sarah?

its funny to me.....it has to be like the pschology thing to make it work on a I-phone or touch

Actually the light source is the bottom half of the screen, which you place behind the tinted glass. The top half you adjust the brightness to visually match the bottom. Works great to measure relative brightness, I.e. you can get a number that let's you determine which object is darker. Of course everyone's eyes are different, so it's not 100% accurate. I was able to get some measurements off some samples I had using a Phantom Visible Transmission meter for the VLT, but the numbers are off using my app. This could be because the measurement of the VLT% is done on the entire visible spectrum, not just one color.

it would be much better as a windows mobile media app.. than a apple app...why lock it to apple...booooo-thumbs down...there is so many people that have other mobile media phones/pocket pc's....

:dunno put this on and sit in the feffin corner ...why would you boo any one trying to help the industry in any type of way casue your cheap azz is the only one who dont have a I phone or I touch nonsense go back to posting pics of your tint work :beer

Gents,

I truly wish I had access to a physics professor for a single day. There are several questions about our industry that after 26 years are still unresolved for me.

One of them involves these tint meters. I think that the process of measuring glass+film simultaneously is fundamentally flawed. Here’s why:

Take a drinking glass out of your kitchen cabinet and fill it ¾ of the way to the top with water. Now put a spoon into the water. Use a spoon that is tall enough so that it sticks up above the water level. Now look at that spoon from different angles. The spoon looks bent – but of course it’s not.

The reason for this optical illusion is that the glass and the water have two different refractive indices. The light waves do not travel at the same speed thru the water as they do thru the glass. The difference in these values is what makes the spoon look bent.

What does this have to do with tint meters?

I have meters in the warehouse that just measure film. I also have the glass+film meters that we sell to you guys, like the Pocket Detective.

I can take a piece of 50% film and put it in the meter. It meters 50%. If I double it up, it correctly reads 25% (which is 50% of 50%). With me so far??

Next I take a meter like a pocket detective and meter a piece of unfilmed glass. I get a 70% reading. Then I put the 50% film onto the 70% glass. It should read 35%, right? (that’s 50% of 70%). But it never does. I am sometimes off by 8-12%. I think this is due to the fact that polyester film has a different refractive index than glass and hence, cannot be accurately read simultaneously.

Anyone know someone with a PhD in physics?

-Howard

Archived