What would you do???

Guest oasisglatint

Guest oasisglatint

I have an interesting scenario for you guys, about dark work....... automotive.

I have had this happen on more than one occasion. The most recent one is as follows

I have a really good, repeat, custy that brings me quite a few vehicles every year to year and a half. He is in his 40's, very established, and according to my uncle that sells him all his insurance.......allstate agent........ owned and sold a business and is sitting on a ton of money. Retired and taking it easy!!

His latest vehicle, a loaded out 7 series, black on black...... freak'n georgeous car. He comes in to "talk" to me about this one. No big deal. I have this guy SOLID. He actually tried a different shop with his last 3 series and took it in the arse, or I should say, they took it in the arse. Bad job, he wasn't happy, and of course calls me and drops it by for me to look at?!?!? :lol They removed it for him and scratched the bajesus outa the qtr window. Had to pay to have it replaced :lol Anyways........

He looks at me and says, very matter of factly " I want this car 15%. I know what the law is and I want 15%. I am not a thief, not cooking m*th, or out to cause mayhem. I want to protect my car, and have some comfort while driving. "

This was my favorite part......

"I paid over 100K for the car, and I want it the way I want it."

What would you do?????

He's not the 16 yr old pimply faced kid thats gonna get into it with the officer when he gets pulled over... That ones easy!!!! :lol

He is THE custy we all want..... or should. This guy runs in the circles that you want to pull from, or I DO!!!!

Keep your soapbox :beer out of this. Step back and think about it before you get all holyier than thow. Do you tell this custy no?

Don't know if I will get much outa this, just thought I would toss it out and see what bites

:bingo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice story.... What are you fishing for ???

Are you looking for someone to tell you ' Oh... It's ok... people like that are above the law ' ????

I'm certainly not going to say that....

The law is the law....

I think it's a prety black and white scenerio.....

I'll comment based on NOT knowing the fines and consequences to the tinter in Maryland.

The problem in doing this job(not commenting on the fact that he feels he's above the law because he paid so much for his car) is that you want HIS word of mouth because of the tight circle of friends you want to pull from..however don't be surprised that some of those referrals are also going to most likely want you to break the law for them as well..what are you going to do if you say no to one of them if they want you to tint thier kids car pimped out and is reckless..you say no..it will most likely tick them off and no more referrals..just speculating of course..or you could do it every time they ask for it. Trust me when I say once word gets out that you make exceptions...you will be doing more !llegal tinting then you want..or making potential customers upset because you discriminate to whom you give dark tint to.

Think of the future of your biz in those terms..not telling how to run your biz..just an opinion on the flip-side :bingo

Obeying the laws Is definitly the way to be! Tint Wizard and TTS are right about the way they feel and morally it's the right thing! But I know I'm gonna catch some smoke about saying this but if it's a customer that I've done work for and he's a good customer ....then I'm tinting it!!! I explain the law to them and if there persistant about having it done then screw it I'm making money! If we're in the middle of season and we're booked a week out then I try harder to persuade them but if was today or last week then take it to the bank ..I'm tinting it the way they want!....Just being honest!! :bingo

Guest oasisglatint
Are you looking for someone to tell you ' Oh... It's ok... people like that are above the law ' ????

I'm certainly not going to say that....

The law is the law....

I think it's a prety black and white scenerio.....

Hey TTS.

I counted on that from you. :bingo

You have the same law in Oregon that we do in Tenn. Do you think, and I mean PERSONALLY-PROFESSIONALLY, that 15% is too dark on a car?????

And I know the law is the law. But that's bullshit, and you know it!!!!!

Common Sense......... A sport Ute rear=15% OK...... but a 4 door accord rear =15% BAD.... VERY BAD!?!?!?!?

NO COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!

If I'm a thug, I'm getn a Escalade and hammering the rear 5%, and riding around laughing ALL DAY LONG......

NO COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!

Not trying to justify, just sayn that I struggle with our goofy ass legal system

Have you ever explained our law to a custy, only to finish and have them look at you with that... do you hear yourself, look on their face???

tint away brother. to each there own, I would tint it.

if he is that good of a customer and you are really worried about it. no receipt. no receipt no paper trail. have them prove you did it.

no receipt. no receipt no paper trail. have them prove you did it.

I would suggest if he's going ahead with it to request this thread disappear along with the paper trail :bingo

Guest Jerry250f

Your from Maryland? I've been pulled over for 20% with rear 5% on my old truck and the cop didn't give a crap about who tinted it or anything they were more concerned with making things harder for the driver or owner by giving you the run around and peeling it all off.

Personally I would tint it. As long as they know the terms when it comes to the law and mentioning your name. In MD they don't seem to care about tint laws because I know a few local shops who will willingly do anything you want them to and not question you at all.

being a very good repeat customer that I knew well enough, I'd do it. :bingo some dumbazz random customer off the street and hell no. :lol but someone who's been bringing me business for years and alot of it. I'd make an exception. I'd also stress the point bigtime that this one time was THE exception.

I'm sure I'll get a ton of shiat for this one. :beer

Archived