New Limo for da prez

Lets keep the remarks civil, I don't want to wake up tomorrow to the Secret Service standing over my bed with MP-5 machine guns. :spit

Obama's limousine -- a Prius it is not

There are limos and there are limos and then there is the presidential limo (I should make that Presidential). This is the one that will carry the new president and, believe me, it is not like other limos.

Known in the Secret Service as "The Beast," the customized Cadillac limousine is thought to be built on General Motors' hefty 2500-series truck chassis. The Secret Service, of course, does not give you a spec sheet or much other information on The Beast, other than to say a new one is being put in service for Barack Obama.

There are some glimmers of information, however, in a New York Times piece by Gregg D. Merksamer, who says he has spent 30 years studying and writing about presidential cars, part of a class called "professional cars," which also includes hearses and ambulances. Suffice to say that the limo is essentially a gussied-up and lavishly comfortable armored personnel carrier with, it is rumored, five-inch-thick windows and armor plating throughout.

On the eve of Obama's inauguration, the Secret Service let ABC News have a look at the new car, but spent most of the interview politely saying no to some of the more obvious questions.

The Hagerty Insurance choices

William Taft (1909-1913): Taft was the first president to drive a car. One of the most interesting cars he owned was, ironically enough, "green" -- a Baker Electric.

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945): 1939 Packard 12 -- The Packard's V-12 engine was especially smooth and provided exceptional performance in its time.

Harry S. Truman (1945-1953): 1945 Ford Super DeLuxe Tudor Sedan -- The very first car assembled after World War II was a white Super DeLuxe Tudor Sedan assembled on July 3, 1945, and it went to President Harry Truman.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961): 1956 Chrysler Imperial -- This particular model was frequently used by President Dwight D. Eisenhower and became known as "The Detroit Car."

John F. Kennedy (1960-1963): 1961 T-Bird Convertible -- The Thunderbird was 1961's Indianapolis 500 pace car and was featured prominently in U.S. President John F. Kennedy's inaugural parade.

Richard Nixon (1969-1974): 1950 Oldsmobile -- This particular car owned by Nixon is of historic impact because it was referred to during his infamous "Checkers" speech that was said to save his candidacy for vice-president.

Ronald Reagan (1981-1989): 1952 Army Jeep, Model M-38A1 -- This was a gift to President Ronald Reagan from his wife, Nancy.

Bill Clinton (1993-2001): 1967 Mustang Convertible -- Clinton owned this Mustang as a collector car prior to and during his presidency.

John McCain (2008 Republican Candidate): First car: 1958 Corvette -- This was the first year for the dual front headlights, which gave the car a much more aggressive look than any earlier Corvette. Current car: 2006 Cadillac CTS -- The CTS is Cadillac's entry-luxury sport sedan.

Barack Obama (2009 - ) Current car: Ford Escape Hybrid -- Nearly 100 years after William Taft drove an electric vehicle, Obama traded in his Chrysler 300C for a more fuel- efficient Ford Escape Hybrid. It makes sense that Obama owns a hybrid, as he is a big supporter of researching the best methods for alternative fuels for transportation.

Visit My Website

Bill Clinton (1993-2001): 1967 Mustang Convertible :thumb -- Clinton owned this Mustang as a collector car prior to and during his presidency.

John McCain (2008 Republican Candidate): First car: 1958 Corvette -- This was the first year for the dual front headlights, which gave the car a much more aggressive look than any earlier Corvette. Current car: 2006 Cadillac CTS :beer:lol -- The CTS is Cadillac's entry-luxury sport sedan.

Barack Obama (2009 - ) Current car: Ford Escape Hybrid :thumb:gasp:spit -- Nearly 100 years after William Taft drove an electric vehicle, Obama traded in his Chrysler 300C for a more fuel- efficient Ford Escape Hybrid. It makes sense that Obama owns a hybrid, as he is a big supporter of researching the best methods for alternative fuels for transportation.

Visit My Website

:gay

Archived