Warning if popping panels on '09 Pilot

We found out the hard way the other day. In tinting the 2 front doors, we popped the panels but didn't unplug anything, we were able to hang them right there with a hook. After we put everything back together and when the customer came to pick up she couldn't open either front door. They wouldn't open from outsdie or from inside. We had to take it to the dealer and one day later they said that the cables for the door handles had popped loose when we had the panels off. This design is absurd, the inside cable for the handle is somehow tied in with the outside handle. They had to remove the door panel with the door closed somehow and hook the cable up. I've had a cable come undone before but never does it affect the outside handle operation. Stupid design.

Well $250.00 later and it's all good. Check the cables really good before putting the panels back on people. The other thing is that they must come off real easy because we didn't have that panel more than 2 inches away from the door.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest maddtinter

How about leaving the panels on?I am tired of seeing so many installers taking off panels.Yeah I can understand some panels need popping but it seems too many of you just do not know how to install the film on the simplest of doors.

We found out the hard way the other day. In tinting the 2 front doors, we popped the panels but didn't unplug anything, we were able to hang them right there with a hook. After we put everything back together and when the customer came to pick up she couldn't open either front door. They wouldn't open from outsdie or from inside. We had to take it to the dealer and one day later they said that the cables for the door handles had popped loose when we had the panels off. This design is absurd, the inside cable for the handle is somehow tied in with the outside handle. They had to remove the door panel with the door closed somehow and hook the cable up. I've had a cable come undone before but never does it affect the outside handle operation. Stupid design.

Well $250.00 later and it's all good. Check the cables really good before putting the panels back on people. The other thing is that they must come off real easy because we didn't have that panel more than 2 inches away from the door.

I had this problem when removing Acura RL door panels.. And Honda does not see the clips seperate from door handle. Hav to buy full assembly.. That is what they did.. Lucky work at the dealer..

How about leaving the panels on?I am tired of seeing so many installers taking off panels.Yeah I can understand some panels need popping but it seems too many of you just do not know how to install the film on the simplest of doors.

Ditto!

:dunno

I dont pull panels on...well, I cant think of a car I do pull panels on...except when I did a Volvo 850 and Lexus IS 250 about a year ago. I do pull gaskets on Bugs, many Saturns, sometimes on Malibu's and Impalas, Taurus's....and thats about it.

What the deal with honda/acura making so many ugly models now?? The Pilot front looks similar to a TSX/TL which is just God aweful ugly. I used to think Honda/Acura made great looking vehicles. What happened?

Listen, people who don't pop panels are gonna say you shouldn't 'cause stuff can break and people who do pop panels

are going to say that bending a molding backwards can damage it. I get it, that's not the point of the post. That's why I

wrote "if popping panels" in the title. We haven't had to pay for a problem related to panel removal in many years so I thought it was worth a mention. Happy Tinting.

if I remember correcty you can just pop the rubbers out of the new pilots. so that can avoid that problem. I think thats why we never ran into that. the last model of the accords always popped or broke the door cables, but we know how to fix that. if you run into that pm me.

and just so you guys know, we pull everything on every car. unless you can just pop the rubber out, or pop the top back. but you never know about that until you pop the panel off. or unless I or someone else tells you guys. which I usually do.

Archived