Pulling panels or not?

Tint Artist

Because I've seen a huge difference of opinions on this subject I thought we could discuss this professionally! I have been tinting for a number of years and have learned to install with or without removing panels! I do not take every panel off because alot of cars you can simply pull the seals out and on rare occasions if the panel looks like a biatch then I simply top load without removing them! I have worked side by side with tinters who do not remove panels and there speed is the same as mine! I would like to hear a good discussion on whether you remove panels or not and why! Remember each tinter has there own style so what are your reasons for your type of install?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintgod

no offense...but I can see this turning into a dmc real fast. :dunno

I for one..I pull panels..I dont pull panels and I pull glass...I dont worry about speed..I do what is going to give my client the best tint job possible for the money the are paying.

I for one..I pull panels..I dont pull panels and I pull glass...I dont worry about speed..I do what is going to give my client the best tint job possible for the money the are paying.

Not trying for this to get into a dmc just a good professional discusion on why you do or don't and what you replied is a good start!!

I never pull panels unless its absolutely necessary. Like you said, on some, you can pull the gaskets (Taurus, bugs, impala, Malibu, most Saturns...). I dont like to pull panels b/c I dont want to be responsible for something breaking, especially if the panel has the "plug" style fasteners. I know on some older Volvos I have pulled panels, and on the two fronts of the new IS250's.

I dont disagree, however, that the install can come out much cleaner w/o panels in the way, and its easier to install. Should the outcome look like crap, and I cant get it the second time, I will pull the panel.

Guest tintgod

Not trying for this to get into a dmc just a good professional discusion on why you do or don't and what you replied is a good start!!

I understand.. :dunno

Guest oasisglatint
I never pull panels unless its absolutely necessary. Like you said, on some, you can pull the gaskets (Taurus, bugs, impala, Malibu, most Saturns...). I dont like to pull panels b/c I dont want to be responsible for something breaking, especially if the panel has the "plug" style fasteners. I know on some older Volvos I have pulled panels, and on the two fronts of the new IS250's.

I dont disagree, however, that the install can come out much cleaner w/o panels in the way, and its easier to install. Should the outcome look like crap, and I cant get it the second time, I will pull the panel.

:dunno

We used to pull everything, that was the way I was trained. Lately, we're sliding most everything....... except the easy seal pulls. Our work hasn't suffered...... or we wouldn't do it...... Plain and simple

I never pull panels, probably never will. I do pull the gaskets out if they are easy like chargers and so forth, but I do use a gasket wizard quite often. Many gasket wizard haters up here but I love em and can tint as clean as the panel pullers. Not hatin on the pullers though as it could be handy at times to pull them.

I do what is going to give my client the best tint job possible for the money the are paying.

This is all that should really matter in the end :dunno

As long as I don't have a bottom gasket interfering where I can slide the film freely down, I don't pull panels unless needed ..having the bottom gasket out or pulled away from the door glass gives you as clean of an install IMO..that's why I stopped some time ago pulling panels unless needed. Many cars nowadays the gasket will pull right out or you can pull the panel back.

To each his her own..as long as your a fussy tinter and you like the end product :dunno

Because I've seen a huge difference of opinions on this subject I thought we could discuss this professionally! I have been tinting for a number of years and have learned to install with or without removing panels! I do not take every panel off because alot of cars you can simply pull the seals out and on rare occasions if the panel looks like a biatch then I simply top load without removing them! I have worked side by side with tinters who do not remove panels and there speed is the same as mine! I would like to hear a good discussion on whether you remove panels or not and why! Remember each tinter has there own style so what are your reasons for your type of install?

I am the same way. It all depends on the vehicle and what condition its in as well. Pulled the front on an 09 cts but the back I pulled the gasket. 3 screws no prob. In the winter its nice not to have a wet bottom gasket to deal with, The time it takes soaking out the moisture makes outweights the time to slip a panel IMO. To eack there own, I dont think anyone should pull panels if they are worried about breaking it. The only thing that really stops me is when someone has done some crazy speaker mount on top of the door panel that looks like it will fall apart if you touch it. being an old installer, I know what can happen when speakers go wild! :dunno:dunno:dunno

Archived