Removing some 105 tints(1,6x1m)

Guest citysign

Guest citysign

Hi,

I had a call yesterday just as I was leaving the office, the customer started to tell me how they'd just done a tint job where they didnt't get the result they wanted from the film. He offered me a pretty god amount of money to re-do a job, he would get the film for us and all we had to do is remove the tint and put in the new tint.

The job is 105 windows(1,6 x 1 m) and the film that was layed on the windows is a film that is supposed to make it look as if the windows were mirror's. That mirror effect was achieved only on one side of the film, the backside looked more like an orange skin, all bumpy rather than plain(I'm guessing it had to do with the glue).

The windows are all dubel glas windows, so I suppose that I shouldn't use my steamer(read it somewere in the forum), should I just use the stanley tool?

Appreciate the tips.

PS. I haven't got any idea what kind of glue the film that is on today has :thumb

Depends on how long ago the film is installed and what kind of adhesive was on the film.

Go over there and remove 1 window ,than you will find out how easy or bad the film can be removed.

Second , I wouldn,t accept the installation of somebody else his film , unless I know what brand it is.

Dont give garantee on the film installation .

just :thumb

what makes him think the film he gets will do the job? all film is light dependent when it comes to the reflection you get and where you get it. have you installed res./comm. window film before? if I were you I'd look alot more before leaping.

what makes him think the film he gets will do the job? all film is light dependent when it comes to the reflection you get and where you get it. have you installed res./comm. window film before? if I were you I'd look alot more before leaping.

I couldnt agree more Blade. Should you do the job, make sure the custy understands you cant warranty his film. I see you have less than 1 year experience. Is this with flat glass experience? If its with automotive and you haven't done much/any flat glass...beware. This is a totally different "game". You said the money HE offered you was good. YOU should be the one giving the price...not him. Removing film, no matter what the adhesive type, is VERY time consuming. Don't sell yourself (or let him) short!!

Agree with others on warranty - if customer supplies film you shouldn't give them a warranty.

It's supposed to be OK to use a steamer IF the glass is tempered. The only time we actually tried a steamer was on a vinyl film and it didn't even help though.

Guest citysign

Let me start off by saying thanks for all the replies, and I do get what you are telling me.I've done a couple of residential tints, about 10 or so, so I'¨m pretty fresh. Yet I'm not afraid or intimidated by this, on the contrary I want to learn and I thought that I might share with you all my questions and thought's so that I could get some ideas, thus avoid a stupid misstake. But you guy's have to agree with me, when I say "you got to start somewhere"

I wasn't thinking of giving out a warrenty, due to all the unknown's and I made the customer know this. I've decided to charge him by the hour for the removing of the tint and for square meter for applying the new tint.

But when it comes to removing I'm interested in knowing if you guys have some tips, besides the stanley tool?

Archived