Best heat rejection!

I am getting ready to do a friend's Florida room. It is 8 single pane windows. It gets unbelieveably hot in there and we want to reduce the heat as much as possible. I usually use LLumar Dr-25. At Least for the last couple years, everyone seems to like it. I love the look and the values. I figured I'd throw up some DR-15 on this but just wanted your opinions on anything that has even better heat rejection. I think the Dr-15 says 70 for solar heat reduction. On this job however, the look doesn't matter as much. Just stop as much heat as possible. What do you guys think? R15 maybe? Don't know. I only use LLumar. If anyone has another brand that will work please let me know. Other than Sunguard or Solarguard. Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintgod
I am getting ready to do a friend's Florida room. It is 8 single pane windows. It gets unbelieveably hot in there and we want to reduce the heat as much as possible. I usually use LLumar Dr-25. At Least for the last couple years, everyone seems to like it. I love the look and the values. I figured I'd throw up some DR-15 on this but just wanted your opinions on anything that has even better heat rejection. I think the Dr-15 says 70 for solar heat reduction. On this job however, the look doesn't matter as much. Just stop as much heat as possible. What do you guys think? R15 maybe? Don't know. I only use LLumar. If anyone has another brand that will work please let me know. Other than Sunguard or Solarguard. Thanks

HanitaTek OPTITUNE 5%...TSER is 85%...you should have any problem with single pane windows..but I would check with hanita to double check.

Guest tintgod
Cool thanks. I just looked at their website. Never use this stuff. How do you like it? Will it hold up down here in Florida?

I have used it on many commercial building with now problem.. :rollin

Guest vclimber

If you put any of those films on a house, I think you will end up killing a friendship. :lol6

Maybe not though... First get some answers:

What is "unbelievably hot" translate too, how hot?

Why is it happening?

Will reducing solar heat gain through the glass solve the problem or is there other causes?

After you have answered these 3 questions, the final one would be:

Will he have problems from neighbors or his homeowners association as a result of installing a highly reflective film on his glass?

This will help you determine the right film to apply... :rollin

Guest tintgod
If you put any of those films on a house, I think you will end up killing a friendship. :lol6

What is "unbelievably hot" translate too, how hot?..its a florida room..meaning..a glass room with glass on all walls..so im sure is get pretty dang hot

Why is it happening?im guessing the sun is beating down on all the windows

Will reducing solar heat gain through the glass solve the problem or is there other causes? Im guessing this will help a lot

Will he have problems from neighbors or his homeowners association as a result of installing a highly reflective film on his glass? Its a florida room..they are in the back yard..no one will see it but ppl in the back yard im guessing

you can correct me if im wrong on the answers nctinter.

Guest vclimber

What is "unbelievably hot" translate too, how hot?..its a florida room..meaning..a glass room with glass on all walls..so im sure is get pretty dang hot

Why is it happening?im guessing the sun is beating down on all the windows

Will reducing solar heat gain through the glass solve the problem or is there other causes? Im guessing this will help a lot

Will he have problems from neighbors or his homeowners association as a result of installing a highly reflective film on his glass? Its a florida room..they are in the back yard..no one will see it but ppl in the back yard im guessing

you can correct me if im wrong on the answers nctinter.

:lol6 Are you his secretary?

If you put any of those films on a house, I think you will end up killing a friendship. :rollin

Why is it happening?

Will reducing solar heat gain through the glass solve the problem or is there other causes?

Will he have problems from neighbors or his homeowners association as a result of installing a highly reflective film on his glass?

This will help you determine the right film to apply... :lol6

Dang V, this seems like kind of a bitch slap. I get calls all the time about hot rooms, and never ask if it could be something other than sun through the windows. Film is a problem solver...thats why they call. I do agree about HOA concerns. In my neighborhood they dont allow reflective films...and dont allow commercial vehicles parked in driveway, but no one seems to care...bastards.

on cloudy, rainy days that 15% or darker is gonna look like crap. at night it will look like a funhouse mirror from the inside. and lots of times when people think they want it that dark they are not satisfied after the installation if they feel ANY heat coming in.

Guest vclimber
If you put any of those films on a house, I think you will end up killing a friendship. :rollin

Why is it happening?

This will help you determine the right film to apply... :lol6

Dang V, this seems like kind of a bitch slap. I get calls all the time about hot rooms, and never ask if it could be something other than sun through the windows. Film is a problem solver...thats why they call. I do agree about HOA concerns. In my neighborhood they dont allow reflective films...and dont allow commercial vehicles parked in driveway, but no one seems to care...bastards.

I once put up some film that usually gets great results but this time the customer calls back saying "it's still too hot..." So I go back and look at it, come to find out there was no air circulation in the room so basically the film just made it so the room took a little longer to heat up to the same temperature. Since then, I have learned to ask questions, look around and perceive what might be a problem before I open my pie hole and recommend a film. I'm not trying to "bitch slap"... just sharing some experience here.

darrin1 has a great point. Some of these dark reflective films cause more problems than there were before it was installed. Good to ask questions 1st...

Archived