Heat Shrinking

Guest travis22

Guest travis22

I am trying to figure out/learn a new method of heat shrinking film. I usually do the dry shrink with the dryer sheets, but I have run into a couple of back glass's that won't cooperate well with that method. The Rio is one that I had to two piece together as well as the Beetle. I was reading the TD's steps to the lift and pull method with the solution on the glass. Have tried that step by step but can't seem to get my film to react the way he discribes. I lift the bottom and start there first and right away it starts shrinking in all kinds of directions. Any tips anyone can share with me to help me get through my first lift and pull back glass? I also read that someone had mentioned a "double H" anchor when doing the dry shrink...how does that work? Do you just anchor the middle and edges like originally and then also anchor the middle top to bottom? Don't quite get it.

if you want to see video of "lift and pull" you can look at my "Ryk Shrink" as I am pulling the top on there.....

I think you should have the edges anchored down if you are going to lift and pull and if the film is "shrinking in all kinds of directions" then it sounds like you don't have it anchored.....

Lots of videos around with different styles. Look up shrinking and global on youtube and you can find a few links to the bug shrink on there.....

Guest travis22

Okay, will definetly look into that. But here at my work I'm not able to look at that kind of stuff. They have installed a cyber nanny, haha :lol2 but I will try to take a look at it this weekend at my buddy's house. Do you have any idea what the "double H" is all about? I've heard and read that term a few times when people are talking about some tough BGs with a lot of curve, such as the beetle and rio. But anyway, thank for you imput...I appreciate it.

with out the middle vertical I found that the tint would pull a bit from the other side some and make it for a harder time to get a smooth shrink. When you anchor the middle it will hold the film to the side you are working on. I also have seen very few windows that need to be shrunk in the middle.....

Guest travis22

Oh ok, make sense. Are you able to do a beetle in one piece doing it this way? I tried that yesterday on a Rio and it still didn't want to shrink smoothly. It creases in the same places every time. I get about two or three fingers shrunk and then it creases right at the bottom edge. Its as if the finger lifts up at the bottom the closer I get to it instead of laying flater like normal the closer I get to the bottom. It's pretty weird since I can shrink just about any other back glass but the Rio, Beetle, and GTI. I get this same problem with all of these vehicles. Perhaps it's just me, who knows?

Oh ok, make sense. Are you able to do a beetle in one piece doing it this way? I tried that yesterday on a Rio and it still didn't want to shrink smoothly. It creases in the same places every time. I get about two or three fingers shrunk and then it creases right at the bottom edge. Its as if the finger lifts up at the bottom the closer I get to it instead of laying flater like normal the closer I get to the bottom. It's pretty weird since I can shrink just about any other back glass but the Rio, Beetle, and GTI. I get this same problem with all of these vehicles. Perhaps it's just me, who knows?

Perhaps it's the film you use, what brand?

Guest travis22

The brank is Sun-X and it's 35%. I've heard other people say that is rather thin, and then some people have said it's not too bad. The company I work for provides it for me so I don't really have a say in what we get. I have worked with some other kind of stuff at another shop that was the same percentage but a lot thicker and more durable so perhaps that's what it is.

Archived