The Easy Way to Remove Tint. I did it!

Guest madmike30269

Guest madmike30269

Hi Folks:

My son recently got a ticket for his tinted windows being too dark. I read through the instructions for removing tint on this website, and saw that using a steamer could work. I have a travel steamer I use for business travel. Its called ESTEAM and I think it was about $30. Its faster and more efficient than using an iron. Anyway, I took the steamer to my son's car and got it steaming real good. I rolled down the window about an inch and started steaming the top left corner. Using a razor blade I got the corner peeled and from there just kept running the steamer over the next part. It was very easy and the tint and all adhesive came off. Once you get the piece started, you really don't need a razor blade again. Just make sure you get each area very hot so it peels easily. If you try to force it, you won't get all the adhesive. Also, if you have a tear, work with both pieces to get it back to where you are only pulling on one piece. Each window took about 10 minutes with no prep work. Clean up with Windex and you are done.

I am far from an expert on this and there maybe different types of tint that have to be removed differently. I for one though was close to paying $100 to someone to do it and found it to be a very easy job with a steamer.

Mike

Nice :thumb That is pretty pricey for two windows. I always offer up the information freely when a customer asks for a film removal quote. I let them know that they can save some money or If not I would be happy to do it professionally for them. Most customers don't want to haggle with it though. Good going!

Guest madmike30269

Hi Skills:

Yes, if it had been $50 I would have gotten it done professionally. Things are always pricey in our little world. I will tell you this, I tried to put up my own own tint into a car many years ago and it was a nightmare. If I ever get that done again, I will come to someone like yourself.

Mike

Guest bilnliz

Thanks for all tips on window tint removal! I just removed the wrinkled tint from the side window of my Ranger Pickup....and it took me only 20 minutes start to finish. I didn't have steam unit or a heat gun so I thought, " would a HAIR DRYER work? Worked like a charm. I heated up one small corner of the window and then got the film started with a razor blade. Once I got it started, it just peeled off, leaving all the glue on the window. I sprayed some degreaser on a rag and dissolving melting the glue. I used the razor blade for the stubborn buildups. Once it was all off, I cleaned the glass with window cleaner and it was DONE!!! Hope this helps! Anyone with half a brain can do this....save your money! Good Luck!

Guest scottydosnntkno
Hi Folks:

My son recently got a ticket for his tinted windows being too dark. I read through the instructions for removing tint on this website, and saw that using a steamer could work. I have a travel steamer I use for business travel. Its called ESTEAM and I think it was about $30. Its faster and more efficient than using an iron. Anyway, I took the steamer to my son's car and got it steaming real good. I rolled down the window about an inch and started steaming the top left corner. Using a razor blade I got the corner peeled and from there just kept running the steamer over the next part. It was very easy and the tint and all adhesive came off. Once you get the piece started, you really don't need a razor blade again. Just make sure you get each area very hot so it peels easily. If you try to force it, you won't get all the adhesive. Also, if you have a tear, work with both pieces to get it back to where you are only pulling on one piece. Each window took about 10 minutes with no prep work. Clean up with Windex and you are done.

I am far from an expert on this and there maybe different types of tint that have to be removed differently. I for one though was close to paying $100 to someone to do it and found it to be a very easy job with a steamer.

Mike

Pretty much the standard way to remove tint from back glass's. Not really time worthy on side windows, because you can pull the film spray with slip and scrape a roll down in less than 5 minutes usually. By the time you fill the steamer, get it hot, start steaming, etc you could already be done.

Hi Folks:

Mike

Pretty much the standard way to remove tint from back glass's. Not really time worthy on side windows, because you can pull the film spray with slip and scrape a roll down in less than 5 minutes usually. By the time you fill the steamer, get it hot, start steaming, etc you could already be done.

This technique has been : 11uc1e8.png

Hi Folks:

Mike

This technique has been : 11uc1e8.png

:mad funny stamp

what did you use to make it with

I also expect to see a stamp that says "TTS VETO" or etc.

Archived