cleaning up your snot

Guest TINTFXold

Guest TINTFXold

Im posting this because a member had a question about this in the genral forum. Try it for yourself. The key to this technique is a good solvent that will break the adhesive down. I have found nothing better (solution) than what I mention in the following:

Nothing seems to come easy when removing old snotted up adhesive. What I do to cut down on the amount that gets everywhere is this: I use a product called DE-Solve-It, you probably remember me saying something about it. when I get the adhesive exposed I spray it and the stuff I use breaks it down to where when I take a razor blade (in a holder by the way, I mention the holder cause Ive seen people just hold the razor in bare hand) and scrape, it all collects in a uniform "glob o snot". I scrape left to right on the first pass. The blade collects the "snot" and I wipe the blade off of any adhesive. Then I scrape top to bottom and repeat the wiping of the "snot" and repeat the 2 steps until clean.

The reason for the "left to right" then "top to bottom" procedure is because Ive noticed that when you scrape in one direction sometimes, the ahesive might not come off on that pass. If you change directions, it will usually come off scraping from another direction. Plus its all about being thorough.

I have much less "snot" to clean off of everything else when I wipe the blade after each pass. It would be hard to cut it down to zero "snot" on the panel but it does well. Hope that helps TTC.

Guest Litespeeds

I have used DeSolveIt in the past and it does work on some of the adhesives that the film manufacturer's use but when it comes to Solargard adhesive, it doesn't do anything. I have tried Goof Off, Goo Gone, and even the 3M adhesive remover and nothing penetrated the glue.

What I use is Easy Off Oven Cleaner in the BLUE CAN. Do not use the yellow can because it is really potent. You can either tape off everything and spray it on the rear window or spray it on a rag and wipe it on. Make sure you wear a glove and DO NOT get it in your eyes.

Let it sit around for about 15 minutes and then use a white scrub pad to get the glue off. Use a squeegee to get that goo off and wipe it off. The trick is you have to remove all the film before any desolving agent can work. If there is a layer of clear film still on the glass, nothing will work to remove it except for soap water and a razor blade.

I wish somebody would make something that is less toxic that is effective for adhesive removal for any brand of window film. Till then, I will stick with oven cleaner for those extra hard glue removal jobs. :lol

Guest Litespeeds
uuhhhhh, mmmmmm, uuhhhhh  :poop

go post your own tip of the week.  :lol:lol6 j/k

The holidays are here and I felt like GIVING and SHARING.

I GIVE you some of my secret sauce and hopefully TD will GIVE us a medal so we can SHARE it together. :lol

I find that the best thing that works for me. is just soap and water. ive tried different solvents. and they all seem to give me the snot. but with soap and water it is more like a glob . of easily removed glue . but I do want to check out. the de solv it for the rear

Archived