new tinter needing some help/advice!

Guest willskillz805

Guest willskillz805

hey guys I am new to the tint forum as well as new to tinting and I've come across some problems and I need to know if this is common or am I doing something wrong. I have only tinted my truck, which is a dodge ram quad cab. but when I tinted the windows, tiny little bubbles were at the top and at the bottom of the tint. I thought that these would go away but they did not after a couple months. also on a roll down window and on the back window there are a couple "creases". the tint isnt really creased, it almost looks like a hair line finger in the middle of the tint, or maybe a hair got trapped in between the tint and the window. I know the tint wasnt creased bc I wouldnt have used it if it was creased. does anyone know what I am talking about or had this happen to them. and it looks really unprofessional to me that I want to take all the tint off and start over. I will take a picture of it later but hopefully someone can help me out from experience. thanks in advance and I look forward to the tinting world and hopefully more help and discussions with you guys

Post where you are if you want any real answers.....

Get some pictures of what you are talking about and it can be understood better. We can all guess what you are talking about but then it is all about assuming and we all know what an ass-u-me is going to be....

Guest willskillz805

ok well I am tinting in southern california. ventura to be exact. and when I did the tint job it was sunny and it had 4 days of sun right after the job. I took the best picture that I could. its hard bc the window was reflecting my phone and I had to put my hand behind to try to shade the area. I circled the "crease" tho. could not take a pic of the bubbles as they are very tiny. heres the link.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/big.../tintcrease.jpg

your "bubbles" sound like contamination....small dirt, dust, crap from the water, skin...anything that is not pure water that got behind the film....

the "crease" looks like you pinched the film when you installed. If you press the crease line with a finger or fingernail does it seem to lay down better? If so then you might be able to heat it up and press it out with a hard card...be careful with heating up the glass as you can break glass if you get it too hot! you can also burn up all sorts of things with heat guns....

First tint job is simply practice! The next tint job and the next tint job and the next! All practice....when you think you got it PERFECT then you are ready to begin trying to impress others....

I was told when I started to order a full 100 foot roll and when I was done with it I would be ready to think about doing it as a business...

Guest Total tint
your "bubbles" sound like contamination....small dirt, dust, crap from the water, skin...anything that is not pure water that got behind the film....

the "crease" looks like you pinched the film when you installed. If you press the crease line with a finger or fingernail does it seem to lay down better? If so then you might be able to heat it up and press it out with a hard card...be careful with heating up the glass as you can break glass if you get it too hot! you can also burn up all sorts of things with heat guns....

First tint job is simply practice! The next tint job and the next tint job and the next! All practice....when you think you got it PERFECT then you are ready to begin trying to impress others....

I was told when I started to order a full 100 foot roll and when I was done with it I would be ready to think about doing it as a business...

:beer

Guest scottydosnntkno

a lot of it depends on many different factors. me personally I rode along with someone for 3 weeks and watched him and when I bought my first roll I think I tinted my car 2 times (2002 saturn sl1, the one with the horrible back window) and when it came out good enough in 1 piece to install and look professional I started doing it for money from friends and moved on to the public. to this day those first tint jobs still haven't had any problems at all.

Guest willskillz805

thanks guys. I kinda thought it was contamination but I did scrape the window and clean it before installing, but as I was thinking about it yesterday I dont think I cleaned the bottom gasket with a hard card and paper towel, and when I rolled the window up after applying the top part of film I didnt clean the bottom edge again. but I have pressed on it with a finger nail and it does seem to lay down better, but I dont know if doing this would make it better. I am just gonna re do the window. I plan on practicing on my truck and my girls car, and I got 3 other cars that are willing to let me practice on their cars so I am gonna have the practice. but I do remember my first couple 100 foot rolls, and after those were wasted I decided to watch some videos and visit some local shops to learn to tint. So I'm kinda starting all over but I havent been through another roll yet (cross my fingers I dont). thanks for the help guys I am gonna tackle the window in about a week after it stops raining.

Guest willskillz805

hey one last thing what kinda water should I be using?? the water from my garage faucet is really hard so I have been using my inside water but its soft water? I dunno if water makes a difference with the solution. I am using the bobay shampoo mixture

softened water has salt in it and can affect films....if you don't have good water then buy some cheap distilled water. I personally use tap water from most of the places I tint at and don't find it harms me....not that I know at least.

The contamination can come from all over....a slight breeze or just moving can cause enough air to move to stir up dust....clothing can have enough junk that it can come off and get on the tint.....it is a very tricky art to master....

Guest scottydosnntkno
hey one last thing what kinda water should I be using?? the water from my garage faucet is really hard so I have been using my inside water but its soft water? I dunno if water makes a difference with the solution. I am using the bobay shampoo mixture

just go to the grocery store and pick up the cheapest gallon of water you can. Usually its like 65 cents or something like that. While what you are describing is not the water, you still need to use good clean water.

What does the rain have to do with it? If you are tinting it outside, then that is most likely the source of your contamination. Just because you cleaned it once, or ten times, if any wind blows, it will get contaminated. Even when you think you have it as clean as possible, there is still probably a few specks on the window that you cannot get off. Window film will not look perfect, because it is a aftermarket accessory applied in less than satisfactory conditions.

On the rams, since they have a felt gasket, try using some type of masking tape (3m blue or green), and tape off all the felts around the window. That will eliminate one source of contamination. Then, take a microfiber or blue shop towel and wrap it around your hard card, and with the window wet and down a few inches, run it up and down between the gasket and window, switching parts of the towel until it comes out clean. Do the same for the bottom gasket, and then wipe the top of the bottom rubber dry.

Scrape the window with a razor, then squegee dry. Cut your film, then spray and squegee dry again. Install the top half of your film, roll the window up, and slightly lift up the film on the bottom. Spray upwards along where the film sepparates from the glass, and down both side gaskets, and along the bottom gasket. Peel your liner, and tuck the film into the sides and the bottom gasket. As quickly as possible squegee both sides and lock them down. then squegee from the center of the window at an angle towards the corners. Go over the whole window once more with a blue max, and you should not have any issues.

Do not be afraid to flush under the film after the top half, you won't hurt the car, especially a dodge ram.

Archived