Few Fast Questions

Guest Tint Terrorist

Guest scottydosnntkno

and like was said above, personally in the metro detroit area I like all the competition. Probably 25% of the cars I do are rip and redos from the other hack shops in the area. One shop is notorious for leaving a half inch gap at the top edge, even on frameless. A lot of people say once they go there and they mess it up, then I redo it and it comes out the right way, that they will never go to anyone else for their tint again.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and like was said above, personally in the metro detroit area I like all the competition. Probably 25% of the cars I do are rip and redos from the other hack shops in the area. One shop is notorious for leaving a half inch gap at the top edge, even on frameless. A lot of people say once they go there and they mess it up, then I redo it and it comes out the right way, that they will never go to anyone else for their tint again.

R&R's suck.....I never feel like I charge enough for them and I charge pretty well. I would so much rather be tinting a car than removing old film EVER!

Stay happy with the r&r's....I will be slinging tint on cars that have not been tinted before....

I am here because it is a public forum that is meant to help people. I have no issues telling people my "secrets" if you would, because that is what they are here for is to learn, and I am here to help people to learn.

I'm not here to help anyone. I'm sure I have over the years but the main reason I'm here is to hang out with others that do what I do and understand what I deal with everyday. I'm here to have fun and have a laugh at the expense of our customers or other members. :spit:shock that's why I've had run-ins with some who post nothing but technical BS and can't lighten up a bit. just have a little fun and don't be so critical. and I know I've taken shots at members....but I've had my fair share of people laughing at me too. :spit help people if you want but don't anyone jump my azz when/if I don't.

(BTW, that last statement was not aimed directly at you scott but to members in general.)

Guest Total tint
I am here because it is a public forum that is meant to help people. I have no issues telling people my "secrets" if you would, because that is what they are here for is to learn, and I am here to help people to learn.

I'm not here to help anyone. I'm sure I have over the years but the main reason I'm here is to hang out with others that do what I do and understand what I deal with everyday. I'm here to have fun and have a laugh at the expense of our customers or other members. :spit:shock that's why I've had run-ins with some who post nothing but technical BS and can't lighten up a bit. just have a little fun and don't be so critical. and I know I've taken shots at members....but I've had my fair share of people laughing at me too. :spit help people if you want but don't anyone jump my azz when/if I don't.

(BTW, that last statement was not aimed directly at you scott but to members in general.)

hell yea

I'm not here to help anyone. I'm sure I have over the years but the main reason I'm here is to hang out with others that do what I do and understand what I deal with everyday. I'm here to have fun and have a laugh at the expense of our customers or other members. :lol:spit that's why I've had run-ins with some who post nothing but technical BS and can't lighten up a bit. just have a little fun and don't be so critical. and I know I've taken shots at members....but I've had my fair share of people laughing at me too. :lol help people if you want but don't anyone jump my azz when/if I don't.

:shock:lol:spit

This web site would be better named... askaquestionandgetasmartassedreply.com . I am not directing this statement to you Mr. Tintdude, just towards 75% of its members.As I had metioned in a previous thread a few weeks ago, these new people that join this site are here to learn and ask questions about the window tinting industry.And when they post,it never fails that they are bombed with replies such as the ones that are posted here.Personally,I have always admired the new guy or girl that has decided to try this type of profession.Remeber this ! Everyone one of was a rookie at one time.

I completely agree. Generally, online forums are a place where people share their knowledge amongst themselves in a somewhat professional manner. Almost every single thread on this forum has at least one smart ass reply, and the majority of the members seem to find it funny to make fun of the new guy and not help them. It just seems rediculous that our forum of "professionals", to the new outsider, is a bunch of cocky ass window tinters who think they are better than everyone else and don't want to help anyone.

to the TS, if you ever need a real answer, feel free to PM me

I think you may misunderstand ppl's statements. This is someone who comes on here and in her first post asks...basically "what are tricks you guys have spent your career learning?"

To many of us, this is the way we pay our bills, put our kids through school, have a roof over our head, etc. etc. etc. The more competition/DIYers we train, the less money we have to do the things I just mentioned. Many of us have spent years and years of our lives (speaking for myself...almost as long as you have been on this earth) developing and perfecting the techniques, methods and tricks that make us the "above average" professionals that we are.

Nowadays, anybody with a computer and internet connection, can find out any little bit of information they want. Some of us dont think it should be that easy! After our spending all these years learning by trial and error, these things that you kids take for granted because you can just punch it into your computer and get the answer, why should we feel obligated to answer, with no bias, each and every question our competition may have?!?!?!

Maybe this person is planning on opening thier shop next door to you. Do you still want us to teach her every trick in the book, so that she can take a piece of your income? :D

I am New to this site and I came here to learn more about tinting. I was under the impression that this site was for asking question from the beginning through expert level. How can you be mad that technology has advanced to the point where we can use a computer and learn rapidly. Would you like us to take away computers from your children in school? Would you like their school teachers to say "I dont feel like teaching you because I dont want any competetion"? Teaching someone is how our civilization continues on. Further more how many beginners do you think really would open a new shop next to a well established shop? Do many beginners have the funds or experience to do that? Even if you tell someone your trade marked secrets, I mean common knowledge, do you think that they will immediately have the same skill level as you? Everything takes practice. If you dont want to help anyone out then dont, but why bother writing a blog as to why you dont want to?

I am New to this site and I came here to learn more about tinting. I was under the impression that this site was for asking question from the beginning through expert level. How can you be mad that technology has advanced to the point where we can use a computer and learn rapidly. Would you like us to take away computers from your children in school? Would you like their school teachers to say "I dont feel like teaching you because I dont want any competetion"? Teaching someone is how our civilization continues on. Further more how many beginners do you think really would open a new shop next to a well established shop? Do many beginners have the funds or experience to do that? Even if you tell someone your trade marked secrets, I mean common knowledge, do you think that they will immediately have the same skill level as you? Everything takes practice. If you dont want to help anyone out then dont, but why bother writing a blog as to why you dont want to?

Nice first post. You should make alot of friends here. :D

First off, I'm not mad at all. I was simply explaining to someone new (like yourself) why some ppl on here respond to questions like this one, the way they do!

Second of all, if you look at my other posts, I state that I DON'T mind helping out my competition. In fact I have done so on many occasions. I have a very good working relationship with my competitors. But that doesn't mean I am going to share everythign I have learned. Also, why give it away for free!?!?! It has cost me something to learn, why shouldnt it cost them? You mention teachers as an analogy. Well, it seems to me teachers get paid for teaching. (not nearly well enough IMO, but that's another "blog") Try asking them to work for free, see how far your children get.

oh....and if you want to talk about blogs,grasshopper, you may want to check out CuttingEdge's posts. :beer :beer :D

Nice first post. You should make alot of friends here. :lol2

First off, I'm not mad at all. I was simply explaining to someone new (like yourself) why some ppl on here respond to questions like this one, the way they do!

Second of all, if you look at my other posts, I state that I DON'T mind helping out my competition. In fact I have done so on many occasions. I have a very good working relationship with my competitors. But that doesn't mean I am going to share everythign I have learned. Also, why give it away for free!?!?! It has cost me something to learn, why shouldnt it cost them? You mention teachers as an analogy. Well, it seems to me teachers get paid for teaching. (not nearly well enough IMO, but that's another "blog") Try asking them to work for free, see how far your children get.

oh....and if you want to talk about blogs,grasshopper, you may want to check out CuttingEdge's posts. :rock:):olfa

Well I am pleased that you are not mad. Yes I did mention teachers, but you have to understand that they also graduate from at least a 4 year university, are taught by professionals with a PhD, are required by law to take teacher certification courses every year and cannot be convicted of any felonies. If I went through all the parameters that have to be met by a school teacher ex. K - 8th (a college level professor would be much higher) and applied them to the tint industry. Then, if I only accepted those people with those requirements met. How many people do you think would be tinting or more importantly, to your argument, charging to teach how to tint? Look, if I have offended you or anyone else I am sorry, but I see that Tint terrorist started that blog for a few quick questions. I doubt that the intent was to steal your specific specialties, open a shop next to you, and distribute all the tinting information in the world to one source that you can learn overnight for free; while in the process causing you personally to lose the roof over your head. I was just a little shocked when I read "Nowadays, anybody with a computer and internet connection, can find out any little bit of information they want. Some of us dont think it should be that easy!". Here you are with a computer, blogging about different aspects of tinting, yet you have the nerve to write something like that. I only have one word for that, hypocrite. I looked at a few of cuttingedge's post. Apparently he has 2,433 posts. You should be more specific next time with the message you are trying to convey.

Archived