Heat shrinking black glass

I was shrinking the back glass today and would like to hear some advice for improvements. I did a wet shrinking process and it was taking me way too long to finish, I sprayed soap solution on the glass ( Didn't use powder or soap method).

Here are some questions I would like to ask you guys

1. I was shrinking the film for over 30 minutes and there still fingers creeping out. What is the average time to finish shrinking a rear window. It feels like I am not doing it effectively enough. Any thoughts What am I doing wrong here?

2. As I am trying shrink the top and bottom, there are a lot of fingers creeping out on the sides. I heard in many videos that they said you can't shrink side to side, why is that? What would happen if I try to shrink the sides?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks alot.

I think your a good candidate for Stan's DVD's. If you don't know and have to ask why you can't shrink the sides of a back window, then you shouldn't be working on customers cars

I think your a good candidate for Stan's DVD's. If you don't know and have to ask why you can't shrink the sides of a back window, then you shouldn't be working on customers cars

You are right, I shouldn't be working on customers cars and I am not. Do you really think I would without the extensive experience? lol. I am trying to master the tint process right inside my garage with different cars with trial and error. I don't really have anybody to teach me hands on, my only resource is this forum. I been doing side windows pretty well and now I am trying pick up more skills in doing back window.

Guest tintmanlibby

You are right, I shouldn't be working on customers cars and I am not. Do you really think I would without the extensive experience? lol. I am trying to master the tint process right inside my garage with different cars with trial and error. I don't really have anybody to teach me hands on, my only resource is this forum. I been doing side windows pretty well and now I am trying pick up more skills in doing back window.

me 2 :D

Guest scottydosnntkno

I basically taught myself to tint as well. I watched someone else for several weeks, but watching is a lot different than doing. Just keep practicing, and your times will get better. Honestly, a half hour for a window is really not that bad when your just starting out. Try looking up the mdog soap method on here, and try that. Once I switched to it, I only wet shrink the very basic windows now, like SUV and minivan back glasses. Never a car. Just keep practicing, and you will get better with each car.

Welcome to the foum :beer

To address your questions :

It takes me an average of 3 - 5 minutes of heatshrinking depending on the difficulty of glass . This is using the soap shrink technique ( here is the link) :

http://www.tintdude.com/soapshrinkmethod.html

It is not advisable to shrink the sides of the film..like wood, tint has a "grain" to it . It will usually curl up and burn on you.

You have to start somewhere and family and friends cars is a good place to start with hands on (hopefully they are still your friend when you are done :beer )

Best of luck in your journey into tinting :D

I like the magic sizing method. :dunno

what is it?

Spray starch. Spray heavy all over back glass. Wipe a H pattern, lay film on back glass. Trim the film. Anchor the film with hard card, then stretch film with your hands to get fingers smaller. This works very good for me.

Archived