Anti Graffiti Film on a fish tank (aquarium)

Guest Solscreen

Guest Solscreen

Guys I have a request from an existing client that I have fitted a lot of film for at his holiday home. Anyway he has a fish tank made from acrylic which is hexagonal, very fragile and easy to scratch. I have not used anti grafitti film and was wondering would this be the best choice of film to protect the surface from scratches. I need to be confident that this would be a good choice of film for clarity also, this tank I believe cost in the region of about 10,000 Dollars and was shipped from the USA.

Any positive feed back would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance :D

I'd be very cautious. I don't have any direct experience with acrylic films (I do know 3M had one a long time ago that had problems). I'd want to hear from other tinters who have used these films successfully. The thought of creating a problem on a $10K aquarium that you cannot fix by scraping the film off is scary.

I would look at the madico blister free film....but whatever you do be sure that your customer KNOWS that it is a "what you see is what you get" sort of deal...and get that in writing!

Or charge $20,000 for the job so you can buy him a new tank and still have money to spare?

Guest Solscreen

Thanks for the input guys, the tank is not exposed to sunlight, he wants to protect the acrylic from scartches etc, the Hanita film discussed on the board was a solar film, but I think the anti graffiti is an option as if its needed to be removed then there should not be a problem with leaving adhesive residue behind? and the film needs to being opticaly clear.

Do you guys think that the film would blister? being its inside the house with no harsh temperatures. :olfa The water is computer temperature controled along with light and feeding. If I get this right it would one for the photo album :)

The fish are'nt due to arrive for a couple of months yet which is handy, I'm sure they would'nt want to see my ugly mug beavering away on the outside of there new home :rock

Maybe the bigger problem would be the joins on the corners and also if the sides are not flat.

Its my belief that the acrylic reacts with standard films which produces a gas which can blister so not really dependent if in the sun. Blister free would seem the way to go for that reason.

While the other concern may be that although the film may stop the acrylic being scratched eventually the film may be scratched and then R & R could be a problem as you could not use a scraper on the acrylic, so graffiti with less agressive adhesive may be best for that. How long you would get before some blisters or bubbling appears is anyone's guess as different people have reported different results on here in the past.

Guest Solscreen
Its my belief that the acrylic reacts with standard films which produces a gas which can blister so not really dependent if in the sun. Blister free would seem the way to go for that reason.

While the other concern may be that although the film may stop the acrylic being scratched eventually the film may be scratched and then R & R could be a problem as you could not use a scraper on the acrylic, so graffiti with less agressive adhesive may be best for that. How long you would get before some blisters or bubbling appears is anyone's guess as different people have reported different results on here in the past.

Thats interesting about the reaction, I was on the understanding its change of temperature and movement of the plastic hence the bubbling. :beer

Archived