Bmw E60 5 series

Guest shadowline

Guest shadowline

Guys did a 2004 E60 Touring yesterday with SunTek Carbon 18. Spoke to the guy today and last night he said the headlights in the rear screen were reflected so bad its like they were mirrored on top of each other running the whole length top to bottom? Now I know some cars are effected by the defroster lines but ive done a lot of BMW's and have never come across this, have anyone heard this on the 5 series touring? I havent had the chance to check the roll to see if its a film problem, new roll first use, so I will tint some glass and see what the effects are? Hes a nice guy and owns a blind company but took my cards to pass out to customers who think blinds cost too much and hes happy to pass me on as an option. Any advice?

Dude, I feel your pain but no I have not had the chance to tint one of those. I think it is sort of a done deal but I would have him come back by so I could see for myself. If there is something specific to that particular BMW that causes an undesired effect then it would be up to you on how to handle it. If you replace the film with a different brand/line and you he still has the problem then you have just wasted your time.

I had a guty that came by after having his car tinted at another shop who was not happy with the job because he got a rainbow effect when he wore his polarized sunglasses. The tint job looked good so I told him "dont wear your sunglasses while you are in your car". Not trying to be a smartass but heck what do you do?

Guest shadowline

Its a pain, it might not be my fault , or his, but hes a customer thats had tinted cars in the past "with no problem" so they dont understand that it may be his defroster lines? so it (to him)looks like my fault!! Nightmare really!

Usually it's not a film problem.... it's a car problem....

It's a combination of the angle and curve of the rear glass coupled with the film and defrost lines gives that effect on various vehicles.

Some owners notice it and complain.. some don't... You can put a lighter film on the back glass and it 'should' get a 'little' better.... but alas... there is no cure altogeather... :crazy

havent done any touring 5 series dut never had aqny problems with any other bm ,does he like the tint shade or have you taken it for a drive at night to see yourself. have had plenty of problems with bmw driver being very pernickerty might be that.

Its a pain, it might not be my fault , or his, but hes a customer thats had tinted cars in the past "with no problem" so they dont understand that it may be his defroster lines? so it (to him)looks like my fault!! Nightmare really!

Nightmare for sure, you just need to size it up if he is a good repeat customer you might want to try and pacify him . If you decide to give him an honest explaination say what TTS wrote:

"Usually it's not a film problem.... it's a car problem....

It's a combination of the angle and curve of the rear glass coupled with the film and defrost lines gives that effect on various vehicles.

Some owners notice it and complain.. some don't... You can put a lighter film on the back glass and it 'should' get a 'little' better.... but alas... there is no cure altogeather... "

If you go with an explaination then be confident with your words and don't come across like you are just making excuses. At the same time try and read the guy & let him know you understand his concerns but you are limited in what you can do.

Archived