Frosted film outside install

Guest shadowline

Guest shadowline

Been to a job today to install frosted film into bathrooms at an office. 10 windows, 130 square feet, no worries was going to use Solar Gard clear frost, as it will do what they need giving good natural light etc etc. The problem is two downstairs bathrooms extra 70 square feet ish narrow windows, where a lot of the windows go up into the floor void so theres no access from the inside and they all need frosting to blend them in. I believe the Solar Gard clear frost is only an inside install? Any advice on a good outside frosted option that will still give a good level of VLT, bearing in mind im in the UK for suppilers?

Guest shadowline

Cheers........ Vinyl never had to use it I know 3M do a frosted I think? (seem to recall that) ok have never installed vinyl is it the same installed as film, ie slip solution etc, and will it give a good level of VLT the solar Gard is around 65% vlt? thanks for your thoughts!

vinyl would work great. I did a job for the local car dealer and had the same problem. I installed some JWF white frost, and if I'm not mistaken Johnson allows for outside install with warranty, however the warranty is reduced to 3 years. Just let your customer know that it may need to be re-done in a few years. The frost that I installed has been there for a year and a half and it still looks great. Good luck

Guest shadowline

Cheers for the advice, the Solar Gard Clear Frost is warrantied for 3 years on an Internal install only? so outside? not much I think. The customer is the contractor they may say yeah thats ok 2 month life I dont care if it falls off then, but its my name on the job if it does!!

Guest Nik Sandars@Bonwyke
Been to a job today to install frosted film into bathrooms at an office. 10 windows, 130 square feet, no worries was going to use Solar Gard clear frost, as it will do what they need giving good natural light etc etc. The problem is two downstairs bathrooms extra 70 square feet ish narrow windows, where a lot of the windows go up into the floor void so theres no access from the inside and they all need frosting to blend them in. I believe the Solar Gard clear frost is only an inside install? Any advice on a good outside frosted option that will still give a good level of VLT, bearing in mind im in the UK for suppilers?

Hi Shadowline,

We have a translucent vinyl called Opal Frost- you can apply it internally or externally, available in 48" or 60" wide rolls x 75ft - from approx £80 per roll. It is on paper backing, 4yr external warranty.Not as white as Clear Frost, more like sand blasted glass, great light transmisson and privacy.

Let me know if you would like a sample to try on the glass for client approval.

Best

Nik

Guest shadowline

Hi Shadowline,

We have a translucent vinyl called Opal Frost- you can apply it internally or externally, available in 48" or 60" wide rolls x 75ft - from approx £80 per roll. It is on paper backing, 4yr external warranty.Not as white as Clear Frost, more like sand blasted glass, great light transmisson and privacy.

Let me know if you would like a sample to try on the glass for client approval.

Best

Nik

Cheers Nik good to speak. Now a dumb question as I havent installed vinyl before, is it installed with a slip solution like normal flat glass? And can it be reverse rolled as normal film? (I think the backing liner is thicker? Or is that me thats thicker?!) Any info on vinyl would be great guys!

I install frosted vinyl quite often and yes you can use your normal slip solution.

You can do it dry but unless you have the technique right its quite likely to get bubbles.

If not done vinyl before or on large areas then using a slip solution is easier.

as you noted, I find it doesn't reverse roll as the backing is usually stiff and more like card so it doesn't roll and stick like a film liner.

depending on size I either put it on window with backing facing me remove whole backing, spray and flip or if its a long drop let it hang and possibly attach top to window frame with masking tape and pull down backing paper 30cms at a time spray, squeegee and repeat, then squeegee all over again at end.

Archived