impressed with Suntek....ex Madico

Guest techguy

Guest techguy
For what its worth ive used madico for the past 12 years or so both flat glass and cars. I have started my own business and have been using Suntek initially attracted by price. I am impressed with the way the auto films shrink and the resiliance to scratching when being applied.

Prior to using madico I used Llumar for over 12 years also.

In the Suntek F/G range their SYDS-15 is almost identical to the SL180 Madico (just a little lighter)and the SYDS-25 can be butted up against the SL280 Madico, its so close. I found the Madico film to have a short life both F/G and Auto.

The NG35 or the NG20 were purple off the roll and looked very dated when put up against the opposition, ie:nightvision series films. This went for most of their film range, it also used to incur a lot of tunnell spearing if it was precut and rolled up for more than one day. Suntek film has lasted a week in a box before applying it and it was perfect.

I tinted my vehicle just four months ago with the Madico Onyx series and the front doors have already started banding especially visible across the top edge and its definately going purple all over.

I had at the same time fitted Suntek HP to my wifes car and its as good as the day it was fitted.......

All in all I'm really impressed with the Suntek product and put it up along sidewith LLumar for quality and ease of installation.

And their price structure means the window tinter can now make a dollar fitting the stuff.

Just my opinion.

techguy

I have used both as well, but I think the above statement is exaggerated. If you are comparing ST HP to Madi Onyx, Onyx is a better film. I used ST for 3 years, and switch back to Madico b/c of how short the ST HP film lasted. I saw a car I had tinted 2 years prior and the film was in bad shape. The onyx I installed on my dads 2 fronts in 01 still looks good, but it has faded. I did my moms two fronts in 02 with onyx 20% and it looks good clarity wise but it pretty purple. I loved the ST architectual films, and never had any problems with it, and still dont. Ive driven by the places I installed ST and it still looks good.

Suntek is a good product, I agree, but in my opinion its not better than Madico. Just like there are films out there that are better than Madico, by the numbers at least. All films will tunnel if it isnt left on the core...ST will too. SYDS is in no way in the same range as the SL series. I dont think they look alike at all.

Firstly I understand its also just your opinion but if I could clarify because you are saying the two films don't look alike. With all due respect I fitted SYDS-25 to a house which had previously had SL-280 fitted to it ( myself) and I tinted the rest of the house in the ST even corner windows adjacent to the SL film and neither me or the pedantic customer could pick the difference. I was even up front with him and told him it was a different product. He liked it so much he showed it off to the neighbours, I have now done his neighbours home in the ST. ( at a better price than the SL of course because over here Madico film is double the price of the SunTek film)

Please explain why Onyx goes purple so quickly as compared to others and how this makes it a good film ?

I have done my fathers car in 05 in Onyx 35 and it had faded and gone purple, I have recently retinted it as it was embarrassing for me.

My wifes car had Onyx-20 fitted alround in 06 and its VLT had increased so much that it looked like 35%, and had the distinct purple look which one of my neighbours made comment when I was going to tint his car that "he didn't want the purple stuff like on my wifes car" !!! hence I retinted it 4 months ago now.

Don't start me on NG 35 or 20.

Don't get me wrong I liked using DG35 and the SL sunscape series and also had put up a lot of Kynar external and was generally content with how they performed. I just have recently found other films that give better bang for your buck.

My Opinion.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what its worth ive used madico for the past 12 years or so both flat glass and cars. I have started my own business and have been using Suntek initially attracted by price. I am impressed with the way the auto films shrink and the resiliance to scratching when being applied.

Prior to using madico I used Llumar for over 12 years also.

In the Suntek F/G range their SYDS-15 is almost identical to the SL180 Madico (just a little lighter)and the SYDS-25 can be butted up against the SL280 Madico, its so close. I found the Madico film to have a short life both F/G and Auto.

The NG35 or the NG20 were purple off the roll and looked very dated when put up against the opposition, ie:nightvision series films. This went for most of their film range, it also used to incur a lot of tunnell spearing if it was precut and rolled up for more than one day. Suntek film has lasted a week in a box before applying it and it was perfect.

I tinted my vehicle just four months ago with the Madico Onyx series and the front doors have already started banding especially visible across the top edge and its definately going purple all over.

I had at the same time fitted Suntek HP to my wifes car and its as good as the day it was fitted.......

All in all I'm really impressed with the Suntek product and put it up along sidewith LLumar for quality and ease of installation.

And their price structure means the window tinter can now make a dollar fitting the stuff.

Just my opinion.

techguy

I have used both as well, but I think the above statement is exaggerated. If you are comparing ST HP to Madi Onyx, Onyx is a better film. I used ST for 3 years, and switch back to Madico b/c of how short the ST HP film lasted. I saw a car I had tinted 2 years prior and the film was in bad shape. The onyx I installed on my dads 2 fronts in 01 still looks good, but it has faded. I did my moms two fronts in 02 with onyx 20% and it looks good clarity wise but it pretty purple. I loved the ST architectual films, and never had any problems with it, and still dont. Ive driven by the places I installed ST and it still looks good.

Suntek is a good product, I agree, but in my opinion its not better than Madico. Just like there are films out there that are better than Madico, by the numbers at least. All films will tunnel if it isnt left on the core...ST will too. SYDS is in no way in the same range as the SL series. I dont think they look alike at all.

Firstly I understand its also just your opinion but if I could clarify because you are saying the two films don't look alike. With all due respect I fitted SYDS-25 to a house which had previously had SL-280 fitted to it ( myself) and I tinted the rest of the house in the ST even corner windows adjacent to the SL film and neither me or the pedantic customer could pick the difference. I was even up front with him and told him it was a different product. He liked it so much he showed it off to the neighbours, I have now done his neighbours home in the ST. ( at a better price than the SL of course because over here Madico film is double the price of the SunTek film)

Please explain why Onyx goes purple so quickly as compared to others and how this makes it a good film ?

I have done my fathers car in 05 in Onyx 35 and it had faded and gone purple, I have recently retinted it as it was embarrassing for me.

My wifes car had Onyx-20 fitted alround in 06 and its VLT had increased so much that it looked like 35%, and had the distinct purple look which one of my neighbours made comment when I was going to tint his car that "he didn't want the purple stuff like on my wifes car" !!! hence I retinted it 4 months ago now.

Don't get me wrong I liked using DG35 and the SL sunscape series and also had put up a lot of Kynar external and was generally content with how they performed. I just have recently found other films that give better bang for your buck.

My Opinion.

Onyx has always been made with an earlier generation dye that initially has a really nice, black look. Also it is deep dyed as opposed to Charcool which is extruded (Madico's color stable offering) so it tends to be a bit more user friendly. The simple answer is it never has been touted as color stable. Most of the older generation dyes will change color to purple, as will Sun Tek's HP series.

Madico has offered Charcool as their color stable auto film for a long time (10 plus years). Sun Tek's Carbon, a simple, deep dyed, 2 layer 1.5 mil window film made with later generation dyes has been available 6+ years. The TSER numbers they advertise are not tested and exaggerated to give the impression this film is "hi tech".

In today's competative environment, if you choose to use Onyx, ST's standard or HP or similar films you are selling yourself and the customer short. Stick with color stable, non signal interfering films to avoid change to purple, and any possible reception or sensor interference. Upsell to ceramics for best color stability and heat rejection.

SL180 and SY25 should look similar. Both are older technology sputtered dual reflective films. The difference is Madico uses an outside weatherable poyesther and Sun Tek does not. It does not make them perform or look different, and the main differnce will be longevity which is hard to measure. Thus a price difference (should not equate to twice as much). I've got Sun Tek SY series installs that are 8+ years old that have held up fine.

My Opinion.

I did say Onyx would't turn purple...it will. You were talking about a span of 4-5 months and it turned purple, which I simply dont believe. Addicted has it right about the film. I only use the CH line b/c its is a non-metalized, color stable film, which is safe for use on ALL applications. Madi even says it can be used as a flat glass film (which I still wouldnt use for fg). The Carbon line is a better choice than the HP line of Suntek. Please, take my advice on this and dont use the HP line. If you think Onyx is bad, just wait 1-2 years after a HP install. NG line does look a little strange b/c it is very purple out of the box, but it works well. Ive installed quite a bit of it on commercial applications, and have yet to have a custy question the color. Most of them love the black chrome look from the outside. Youre right, Suntek certainly has bang for the buck...cant argue with that.

I used the Suntek HP series they sent me samples of and called them this morning and told them I would like to have samples of there Carbon line to try out! They are sending me Carbon 30 and 20% tomorrow! You guys say that the Carbon line is better than the HP line. How long honestly does the Carbon series last? Do you get at least 3 years out of it? As far as using and applying Suntek film I thought it was a very nice film to work with! But like I said I just don't know this product like alot of you do! Is it worth the risk of trying? :dunno

I used the Suntek HP series they sent me samples of and called them this morning and told them I would like to have samples of there Carbon line to try out! They are sending me Carbon 30 and 20% tomorrow! You guys say that the Carbon line is better than the HP line. How long honestly does the Carbon series last? Do you get at least 3 years out of it? As far as using and applying Suntek film I thought it was a very nice film to work with! But like I said I just don't know this product like alot of you do! Is it worth the risk of trying? :crazy

Tried and never goin to use it again all cars tinted were calling back for film curling

Archived