what to order

had a guy come in the shop the other day wanting to know if we do commercial. owner said we can, yeah. thought it would end up being his whole restaurant but ended up being just a couple of windows and a door. the windows measure 61"x49" and the door is 75"x25". I really dont want to get hosed buying 2 different rolls of film and having to sit on the leftovers. I also dont want to buy small rolls and have to pay the cut charge. what would be the best way to handle this? would you charge the customer the price of all of the tint and then labor?

also I might be in luck as far as the door size goes cause the shop owner got a call on doing some cooler doors. has anyone ever done something like that? im hoping my hearing isnt that bad and thats what he said cause I was in the middle of tinting a car when he told me and dont think I was listening to him fully. any help is appreciated and thanks.

Do you even have your contractors license to do commercial ? or are you just planning to storm in and hack attack a job that should be done by a licensed professional ??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm never thought about needing a contractors license. these people are calling me wanting small jobs done so I didnt think there was any harm. plus I dont think there is any one doing flat glass in town so they went with the next best thing. as far as hack and attack, I plan on doing a professional job and talking to people and jason at JWF to make sure I get the right tint for the window. so does being licensed makes me better?

had a guy come in the shop the other day wanting to know if we do commercial. owner said we can, yeah. thought it would end up being his whole restaurant but ended up being just a couple of windows and a door. the windows measure 61"x49" and the door is 75"x25". I really dont want to get hosed buying 2 different rolls of film and having to sit on the leftovers. I also dont want to buy small rolls and have to pay the cut charge. what would be the best way to handle this? would you charge the customer the price of all of the tint and then labor?

also I might be in luck as far as the door size goes cause the shop owner got a call on doing some cooler doors. has anyone ever done something like that? im hoping my hearing isnt that bad and thats what he said cause I was in the middle of tinting a car when he told me and dont think I was listening to him fully. any help is appreciated and thanks.

Do you even have your contractors license to do commercial ? or are you just planning to storm in and hack attack a job that should be done by a licensed professional ??

I am glad you think you know everything there is about the legal end of dong business. Here we DO NOT need contractors licenses to do window tinting. I have never been asked by anyone for one either in 10 years! I have done some jobs for very large corporations as well and not been asked about a license.

If it were something I was required to have then I would do that but as it is I don't nor do I have to.

u'r in kansas just use u'r auto film and seem it.

I've seen some of the worst commercial tint jobs when I drove through there. like seeming windows when u run out of film and using the scraps to finish the job. not acceptable anywhere except for kansas.

I don't know about that. I have seen some hack work done throughout the country. It bothers me every time that I am in Vegas and see the seemed windows on the front of the Venetian. Those windows could have and should have been done in one piece, but someone took the easy way out and it makes our industry look terrible as a result.

Patric Fransko

Wow thats just crazy at the Venetian. I totally agree with you Patric.

is it a two small job to start with , hang it to a guy who does commercial, that is just a headache for that no too much ca$h

it is not worth it, in my opinion

well I have to start somewhere and small jobs will give me an idea if its something I wanna pursue. automotive will hit a wall for a couple of months here till it starts getting warmer. til then might as well see what else is out there. I appreciate all comments and taking it all in stride.

I am glad you think you know everything there is about the legal end of dong business. Here we DO NOT need contractors licenses to do window tinting. I have never been asked by anyone for one either in 10 years! I have done some jobs for very large corporations as well and not been asked about a license.

If it were something I was required to have then I would do that but as it is I don't nor do I have to.

Look bub.... Here is a thread about installing commmercial film... Obviously the guy doesn't have a clue what to do or where to go for materials telling me he 'probably' doesnt' know if he is legit to even install commercial without a license. Any business who DOES commercial work would (A) more than likely have enough material laying around to do 2 tiny windows like that and (B) would be able to price it accordingly if they didn't

You can hate all you want... but if no one asks the tough questions this industry will just continue to degrade.

I'm sorry you take offense to me operating in a legal and upfront fashion. :dunno

Archived