what to order

Yeah.... I spent a little time looking at more states.... It's amazing (to me anyways) how many DON'T require a license for FG..... :crazy

It's no wonder people complain about cheap operators... because they literally have NO overhead....

Think of the money I could save... maybe I should relocate to southern IL ??? :crazy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm I didnt mean for this to take a turn to the ugly side. I understand where you are coming from TTS or at least I am trying. would you prefer I just stuck some tint on these windows and called it a day? most likely not and thats why I came here, to get answers to something I thought would be a simple job but ended up finding out a few things I had never thought about when it comes to flat glass. im not out to make the flat glass industry look bad. most likely if I hung the tint and it looked bad I would just pull it off and tell them I will order more and try again, hell I think I done that with the first 4 or 5 automotive cars I done. im not trying to be a$$ but what am I suppose to do tell them im not licensed so I cant do it? most guys that are licensed wouldnt even give a second thought of doing this job. why? cause it would be a waste of their time. yea you could come in and knock it out in an hour or less but most could care less until they hit that slow time and the big jobs arent knockin on the door. so how did you get started doing flat glass? did someone show you the ropes? there is no one here to show me how to do this so I ask questions and do a small job to see if I can do it.

hmmm I didnt mean for this to take a turn to the ugly side. I understand where you are coming from TTS or at least I am trying. would you prefer I just stuck some tint on these windows and called it a day? most likely not and thats why I came here, to get answers to something I thought would be a simple job but ended up finding out a few things I had never thought about when it comes to flat glass. im not out to make the flat glass industry look bad. most likely if I hung the tint and it looked bad I would just pull it off and tell them I will order more and try again, hell I think I done that with the first 4 or 5 automotive cars I done. im not trying to be a$$ but what am I suppose to do tell them im not licensed so I cant do it? most guys that are licensed wouldnt even give a second thought of doing this job. why? cause it would be a waste of their time. yea you could come in and knock it out in an hour or less but most could care less until they hit that slow time and the big jobs arent knockin on the door. so how did you get started doing flat glass? did someone show you the ropes? there is no one here to show me how to do this so I ask questions and do a small job to see if I can do it.

I didn't intend for my comment to come across as an attack on your ability or willingness to do a good job. It was more referring to the need for proper licensing and insurance,bonds, etc..... Which as it turns out doesn't look like you need after all. In our state there are LOTS of requirements to become a legitimate contractor and it is extreemly expensive to maintain so I get a bit defensive when somebody just wants to jump into flat thinking all they need is a squegee and some film.

If you 'WERE' in a state the required licensing and you didn't have one.. Hell yes I expect you to tell the customer you can't tint their windows because you are not licensed. It is not for you to decided if another 'licensed' tinter will bid or pass on a job.. you need to be concerned about yourself and how you operate.

I assure you nobody has shown me any ropes nor have they educated me how to operate on a public message board.

Back to the situation at hand... I suggest you contact your film supplier and (1) confirm the film you intent to install will be safe on the glass you intend to put it on. (2) ask them what the smallest quantity of that film is that you can order. and then (3) Bid that job factoring in the entire cost in film that you will need to order. :twocents

Archived