Buy American

Guest maddtinter

...Basically what I meant by that post, was that in some ways I think people believing the whole "buy American" or since I'm Canadian, "buy North American" (lots of 'American' vehicles are made here) is what got the manu's into trouble in the first place. People were so loyal for so long, buying whatever crap these companies put on 4 wheels, that they never HAD to improve or evolve. If people had've bought GOOD products all along, GM and the rest of them would be in, at the very least, better shape today since they would've been right alongside Honda, Toyota and some of the German's. Then it'd be more of an even 'thinning' out right now than whole companies collapsing :lol2 The only reason some people here are buying GM's (even the brand loyal) right now is because they're so cheap at the moment. They don't even like what they're buying.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was done on purpose. These people knew what they were doing. It all goes back to Henry Ford's "Planned Obsolescence".

Mr. Ford decided that if he built a car that lasted, there wouldn't be any customers next year. So, they made the cars as cheap as possible with a planned failure at 90K miles. This is why :lol2 And most all American cars are build with this strategy in mind.

No big deal though, we can just borrow more "money" from the Chinese and "bail" these companies out...right?

It was done on purpose. These people knew what they were doing. It all goes back to Henry Ford's "Planned Obsolescence".

Mr. Ford decided that if he built a car that lasted, there wouldn't be any customers next year. So, they made the cars as cheap as possible with a planned failure at 90K miles. This is why :lol2 And most all American cars are build with this strategy in mind.

No big deal though, we can just borrow more "money" from the Chinese and "bail" these companies out...right?

You're right. I forgot about that. When I used to work as a cleaner at a factory here who's primary business came from GM, Chrysler and Ford one of the toolmakers told me about that. Pretty sad. Good idea back then in some ways, but they never really changed the concept as times changed. It's funny how different a lot of the auto makers philosophy's work out. German's seem to be more about consistency and gradual improvement and refinement of the same product (even that looks the same, think Porsche). Japanese are innovative and reliable. And they've all gotten by on, near as I can figure, people getting bored. People still want a newer, or at least different, car every so often. And then they buy another Honda, or another BMW, or another Toyota because they liked how great the last one was.

It's really unfortunate because all this excessive greed has really screwed some people over. And then there's the bailouts...

Guest tint phantom

I'm nonpartisan, For the last 25 years I watched the American people lied to and screwed out of there money. There all a bunch of lien thieves, all the way down to local government.Steve-Cap-Flagboystee.jpg

Guest tint phantom

That's just the tip of it. Ford realized to sell more cars, he must get in to the working class market.so he built the first assembly line,make more,makes them cheaper. what bush did to help the auto makers is build more gas hogs, and give them $1000 kick back per unit.thats more $ for auto makers and more $ for oil tycoons like himself. government before bushes made auto makers build onboard cumputers that will not use but 65% of fuel going into the intake, the rest goes out the exaust.thats why auto's these days have catylitic converters and unleaded fuel so to satisfy the E.P.A. Fuel injection is capable of getting 70 to 100 miles to the gallon, but oil company's control every thing in our world.I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS ON THIS. This is why I'm building an all electric Chevy service truck thats capable to go over 100 miles per charge and solar and wind generater's for my home buy 2010 I WILL BE INDEPENDENT OF THEM MONEY SUCKING DOGS. P.S. Any auto that is front wheel drive is a P.O.S.!

Archived