Unrealistic Warranties

guest brought this up in another thread and I thought it might be good to start a thread about this lifetime warranty malarkey.

We all know that in the best case scenario most film exposed to sunlight is going to go bad in one way or another in a matter of time, some sooner than others, but all eventually. At the outside a good film may hold up 5 or more years to the eye, who knows how long the UV inhibitors actually last if they are there at all.

We all have seen what can happen to a company that produces products that can't last a few years let alone a "lifetime" what ever the hell that means. The life of the vehicle? Fine, lets all hope those POS cars that most of us drive either break down or get traded in, the few that don't, well, we can just eat that, give the tint shop enough film to re tint the car and let him eat the labor costs.

It's dishonest advertising at best.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I feel lucky about the market here being at it's begginings.

It makes it harder to sell film but I don't have to give promisses I know I can't hold to.

I give realistic warranty on what I do, and I know the film will last for that long.

And I stand behind what I say, makes me feel much better about my work, and I'll never go on that road of lies.

:)

guest brought this up in another thread and I thought it might be good to start a thread about this lifetime warranty malarkey.

We all know that in the best case scenario most film exposed to sunlight is going to go bad in one way or another in a matter of time, some sooner than others, but all eventually. At the outside a good film may hold up 5 or more years to the eye, who knows how long the UV inhibitors actually last if they are there at all.

We all have seen what can happen to a company that produces products that can't last a few years let alone a "lifetime" what ever the hell that means. The life of the vehicle? Fine, lets all hope those POS cars that most of us drive either break down or get traded in, the few that don't, well, we can just eat that, give the tint shop enough film to re tint the car and let him eat the labor costs.

It's dishonest advertising at best.

I know you are talking mostly auto and I deal only in flat glass. "Lifetime" warranties are a marketing ploy. Manufacturers know most people don't stay in their home, or hold on to their car, long enough for film to degrade. And most warranties do not transfer - and even if they did the next owner would probably lose paperwork and never get around to filing a claim. Manufacturers plan on a very small percentage of even eligible people to file claims

Was surprised to hear you expect film to degrade in five years - I know auto films usually are non metallic, but thought they would have lasted longer.

a) I am not sure about additional about UV inhibitors at OSW films. As we tested that in lab. I won't tell brands but - we find nothing. Only a little bit better hardcoating.

b) Warranty more than 3-5 years on car - own ball cutting. I wrote it here 2,000,000 times.

Window film is not ZIPPO lighter. This idea was birn when one second league players decide to play first league. And invent great promo step.

Other market genius in window film biz find nothing better than make same idiotic step.

So - now every MFG give lifetime warranty. EveryBody is happy.

What step will be next? :)

I only use lifetime warranty films but I don't advertise it and I don't mention it unless the customer asks. I wouldn't even mention it then but usually if the customer asks then the "hack shop" has already told them they have a lifetime warratny so I am forced to play ball.

I only use lifetime warranty films but I don't advertise it and I don't mention it unless the customer asks. I wouldn't even mention it then but usually if the customer asks then the "hack shop" has already told them they have a lifetime warratny so I am forced to play ball.

What means LIFE TIME WARRANTY.

LIFE OF WHAT.....?

I still can't catch an idea...

Guest STintVA

Everytime I hear someone saying "It's got a lifetime warranty," I think of Tommy Boy...

If you want me to s#*! in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will - I got spare time... Lifetime warranties only extend the liability of the installer. It seems to me that as long as you buy a film that installs well, looks great and hasn't come back on you too often, that's the film you should buy. Don't buy just for the price and definitely don't buy just for the warranty.

I was wondering myself how they offer lifetime warranty, considering that everything will eventually fade in the sun (even the paint on the car). But I guess that makes sense, they are just betting their money on most customers will never get a chance to envoke that lifetime warranty.

:)

Guest filmslayer
Everytime I hear someone saying "It's got a lifetime warranty," I think of Tommy Boy...

If you want me to s#*! in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will - I got spare time...

:) I'll explain it to a custy,and in the next sentence will tell them to only exspect it to last about 5yrs. ...

Archived