how do you hide lines with no rear defroster?

Guest DangerousDarren

Alright I'm not claiming to know anything here so I don't get crapped on :twocents But I never even was formally taught how to seam a rear window. I mean I get the concept... but holy crap, hats off to any guy that can do it well, I just see there being so many opportunities for a person to screw it up (if you're not used to doing it I mean). When it comes to ability and having a steady hand and good eye, guys who do it well deserve a tip of the hat. But I don't see why even guys who are used to it would want to now that you can shrink film the way you can ? I mean... I'd really hate my life if I had to seam. Learning to shrink is frustrating as hell at first but on the scale, I can see it being a lot less frustrating than learning to seam well... just my guess. The OP should just wait for a roll that's big enough to come in.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno
Alright I'm not claiming to know anything here so I don't get crapped on :twocents But I never even was formally taught how to seam a rear window. I mean I get the concept... but holy crap, hats off to any guy that can do it well, I just see there being so many opportunities for a person to screw it up (if you're not used to doing it I mean). When it comes to ability and having a steady hand and good eye, guys who do it well deserve a tip of the hat. But I don't see why even guys who are used to it would want to now that you can shrink film the way you can ? I mean... I'd really hate my life if I had to seam. Learning to shrink is frustrating as hell at first but on the scale, I can see it being a lot less frustrating than learning to seam well... just my guess. The OP should just wait for a roll that's big enough to come in.

thats how I am. I can honestly say I've never two piece a window in my life. I've never been shown how, and really don't want to ever do it.

Guest total-eclipse

It's not a bad thing to know how to do, seamless back windows and you can hardly call yourself a true pro if you dont know how to do it in my opinion.

I rather not but actually I just two pieced a car a couple of hours ago.......I did a back window a easy one at that and happened to crease the tint (Yes it still happens)

Well the girl was saying how its ok, its fine and I am thinking here I am just getting back into the business and thier is no way I am letting this car go so acting like I didnt hear her I ripped it off.....cringing.

She starts going on and on about how she has things to do and people to meet at the bar so I opted to two piece it.......I would rather do that with a seam only a pro would find then let it go with a big crease......so scott it is always nice to know all the tricks you can.....actually some people are very very good at it and you would swear all their work is one peice,

Guest Tintbds
If you look at it you will SEE it and if you are BLIND you will feel it. :bingo

That's if you don't know what you're doing.

Even a pro, old school pro rather. Who know would shrink both cuts overlap as mention and cut.

The reason why you shrink even if you don't really have to.

Is because it fits perfect and 2nd later months from installation you wouldn't see a gap in the join because it's preshrank.

Thus, the sun/heat whatever wouldn't shrink it out of place.

At the same time some makes/back glass have thicker defroster lines than others. So that maybe a factor also. :ppdance

If you look at it you will SEE it and if you are BLIND you will feel it. :bingo

I have done seams on windows that I HAD to eyephuck to find the seam later as well as I have seen a guy do a seam cut ON THE OUTSIDE and then install and there were a bunch of pros looking that one over as it was a competition and he won the contest!

If done right then it is a beautiful thing! There are times for it as well. 36" film on some windows if you don't have 40" in stock!

Guest mikeMN
If you look at it you will SEE it and if you are BLIND you will feel it. :poop

I have done seams on windows that I HAD to eyephuck to find the seam later as well as I have seen a guy do a seam cut ON THE OUTSIDE and then install and there were a bunch of pros looking that one over as it was a competition and he won the contest!

If done right then it is a beautiful thing! There are times for it as well. 36" film on some windows if you don't have 40" in stock!

(look at what you said in your post )#11 As I said you will see it. Just as you said in your post you could see yours? And if you were blind you would feel it also. So what is your point as I have seamed and overlapped many back glass as I started over 20 years ago tinting cars .as far as this pro you seen do this and you eye f*cked it and could not tell did you see this car days later? Or just after it was done with water still under the film? And I also cut mine on the outside but not all as it would depend on the car as the inside distance from left to right will be smaller on the inside than on the outside so if the defroster lines curve at the ends you will have to final cut the ends on the inside free hand and free hand on the outside as well.as this will elevate ones hand cutting skills at least for me it did. :poop

Guest total-eclipse

Well Mike your the man!!!

The vasy majority of people including customers really could care less as long as the job is done well........even less are going to straing thier eyes to find a seam they wouldnt even know was their if not told......

I doubt any blind person would be feeling up the back window to check if the tinter did a 2 peice window,.....

Guest scottydosnntkno

The vasy majority of people including customers really could care less as long as the job is done well........even less are going to straing thier eyes to find a seam they wouldnt even know was their if not told......

I doubt any blind person would be feeling up the back window to check if the tinter did a 2 peice window,.....

:scotty

Guest mikeMN

:scotty

If you look at it you will SEE it and if you are BLIND you will feel it.

( IS THIS NOT TRUE ) because if it isn’t its news to me. simple yes or no ??????

Archived