applying felt

Guest thatsnappyguy

Yes its a good idea to felt the seals that dont have it so the tint wont get scratched up, just the bottom rubbers though. 44tools.com has felt with which has an adhesive backing. read up around here about it.

Yes its a good idea to felt the seals that dont have it so the tint wont get scratched up, just the bottom rubbers though. 44tools.com has felt with which has an adhesive backing. read up around here about it.

I had not come across the topic of felt... so until now I just figured cleaning the gaskets throughly was good enough.

but thanks :twocents

Guest americanmusclecarhardware

I guess installing felt is a no brainer. remove or ? door panels, clean with rubbing alcohol, add ahesive and apply felt. wait to dry.

Guest scottydosnntkno
Sand them with a 220 or 320 sand paper, then clean and prep them before applying felt.

I also use an adhesion promoter to be sure it sticks well, but rubbing alcohol usually does the trick too.

I get my felt from CRLaurence...

:film

ebay has 100ft rolls of the 3/4" felt for like $17 shipped.

just pull the panel, remove rubber :beer wipe with rubbing alcohol, let dry and apply the felt

Guest tint51
Sand them with a 220 or 320 sand paper, then clean and prep them before applying felt.

I also use an adhesion promoter to be sure it sticks well, but rubbing alcohol usually does the trick too.

I get my felt from CRLaurence...

:film

ebay has 100ft rolls of the 3/4" felt for like $17 shipped.

just pull the panel, remove rubber :beer wipe with rubbing alcohol, let dry and apply the felt

Also depends on car year/Model.. I work with alot of new acura / lexus cars.. But some early models don't have felt and alot of the new models do..

Guest drmrjon

I really never understood the hole "felting" idea. If you have put film on enough fords which have a ton of felt, and so do others, you would know that felt holds on to dirt, sand and other debris almost as much as rubber. It's not up to us to keep a cust car clean and free of dirt against the film after it leaves our hands. Let the cust know what can happen if they don't keep that area clean. It's just one more step YOU have to do, and I like making money by the minute not the hour. Just my :beer

Guest scottydosnntkno
I really never understood the hole "felting" idea. If you have put film on enough fords which have a ton of felt, and so do others, you would know that felt holds on to dirt, sand and other debris almost as much as rubber. It's not up to us to keep a cust car clean and free of dirt against the film after it leaves our hands. Let the cust know what can happen if they don't keep that area clean. It's just one more step YOU have to do, and I like making money by the minute not the hour. Just my :beer

Thats why you charge extra for the felt. I charge $50 for all four doors, and it usually takes less than a half hour to do start to finish.

Felt traps dirt also, but not as bad as plastic/rubber. If dirt gets in the felt, #1 you can wash it with enough cleaner and #2 since its partially encapsulated in the felt it doesn't have as much pressure on the film and has some room to move a little bit. Dirt/sand trapped in rubber is directly on the film, with nowhere to go since its stuck in the plastic/rubber, scratching the window faster.

Pretty sure with all the tinters on here who use felt, it has to be worth it otherwise noone would. Its just another step in getting a professional install on certain cars. The manny left it out, so we pick up the slack and make it right.

mo money :twocents

Archived