Graphtec Blade and Plotter settings for cutting Avery Denisson TopCoat

Guest jain1980

Guest jain1980

Hi,

What would be the ideal Blade and settings on a Graphtec FC7000 to cut Avery Denisson TopCoat... I am having a horrid time weeding the film as the adhesive of this film is very strong.I am getting incomplete cuts as shown in the attachement. I am currently using the default CB09 blade with force and speed set to 20. If I increase the force to 22 it cuts into backing slightly but the weeding still doesn't improve.

Any opinions from the Avery pros wud be appreciated.

post-24499-1235976273.jpg

Adjustments will be infinately different since the blade can be set independently buy turning the blue knob vs the actual force setting adjustments available in the conditions mode. My force is set at 31 and it cuts great and I have the exact same plotter. You'll have to use some scrap film in test cut mode until you get it dailed in.

th_weeding.jpg

Hi,

What would be the ideal Blade and settings on a Graphtec FC7000 to cut Avery Denisson TopCoat... I am having a horrid time weeding the film as the adhesive of this film is very strong.I am getting incomplete cuts as shown in the attachement. I am currently using the default CB09 blade with force and speed set to 20. If I increase the force to 22 it cuts into backing slightly but the weeding still doesn't improve.

Any opinions from the Avery pros wud be appreciated.

Wow, nice close up shot.... :drevil

Guest jain1980
Adjustments will be infinately different since the blade can be set independently buy turning the blue knob vs the actual force setting adjustments available in the conditions mode. My force is set at 31 and it cuts great and I have the exact same plotter. You'll have to use some scrap film in test cut mode until you get it dailed in.

th_weeding.jpg

Are you using the CB09 blade ? Will tangential emulation be of any help ? Bcos I am having a lot of incomplete cuts in my plots and would like the blade to go past the origin point by a few mm (they call is the Over-cut feature). I wish I could weed as quickly as in this video.. Mine is only 100 times slower than yours. I have got a lot of small circles and squares in my plots.

Guest jain1980

The teflon mat is ok until now..I have had this problem of incomplete cuts since the day I got my graphtec. Also I am able to weed the vinyls perfectly..Its only the Paint protection film that's difficult to weed. BTW what to look out for in the teflon strip to see whether its worn out or not ?

Would tangential Emulation be of any help ?

Guest drwest

I have found that the blades need to be "worn in" for one reason or another. In other words, I get a new blade and my first 50-100 cuts weed like crap...even if we are scoring the backing pretty good. Right now our blade is pretty old (probably 6 months) and our teflon strip is finally going but it is cut pretty good to in some areas and we are weeding great. I guarantee though that if I change to a new blade they will weed terrible again with all other factors being unchanged. Don't know the physics behind why but we find this to happen every time and we cut 6-10 kits/day. Also, if I remember, that Avery will weld a bit if you wait to weed...though Speed would be better to answer that one as he uses a lot of Avery I believe.

P.S. - Your force appears to be about right...depending on conditions (film temperature..teflon strip condition..etc) we range between 19 and 22 for all PPF films (at least the main 4). Although Speed makes a good point that there is a lot of variability since you can adjust the depth of the blade in the holder as well.

Guest XPEL Tim

I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like the offset is set incorrectly.

The offset is what compensates for the angled blade cutting through the thick material. Cutting through vinyl usually doesn't need to be offset because it is so thin the blade is cutting the vinyl right at the tip. When you cut a thicker material like PPF, the cutting is taking place further up the angled blade (because the blade is sunk into the film), which means that the cut is also further away from the tip. To compensate, adjust the offset to make the plotter cut slightly further. This is usually not necessary for paint protection kits because they don't usually contain very small intricate cuts, but if you are cutting lots of detail, this should make a noticeable difference.

Guest jain1980

Great..I will look into the offset now..Although I have never messed it up before, I think I'll have to now that Tim has given a great insight into the way my PPF is actually getting cut.

BTW I have also turned ON Graphtec's tangential emulation and had changed to a new blade 2 days back and there was some respite..Will switch back and see if the older ones help more than the newer ones. But tangential emulation has certainly helped a bit.

Another thing that I have noticed is that weeding gets relatively more difficult on the anchor points (in my artworks) and cutting on those points seems to be incomplete.

When I try to weed out the extras starting from a corner like one does with normal vinyl, even the required areas just cling on and weed out together. The backing liner has got the cutting traces clearly. And I always weed out immediately.

Archived