got a thermal stress on a window

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintgod
If you dont get a thermal crack at least 1x/year, your not tinting enough windows....lol

I dont think so...it just means you know what you are doing. :thumb

First Hi. I am new to this forum but have been reading posts here for a couple of months.

That crack is unlucky. No way that glass broke because of the tint. (unless dark grey laminated glass

and even then unlikely). Yes there would be some shade on the glass, particularly that edge.

No way would I be paying for the reglaze. I would offer to replace the tint for free as good faith only.

If the customer insists you pay I always offer to pay on the condition that I am present when the

glass is pulled out and there is no chip/shell where the crack starts. I would bet my left one that there is.

On new buildings it is easier (in Australia) to put the responsibility back on the window manuf' because the building code

legislates that glass put in must be undamaged. Your film manufacturer/supplier will certify that the film used

was safe to do so. Unless as I said it was dark laminated glass.

There, my first post. :beer cheers.

Guest tintusa

You say "Optitune 20". Do you mean "Optitune 22"? Or, do you mean Hanita Cold Steel 20? Optitune 22 has 45% absorption and Cold Steel 20 has 59% absorption.

Arched windows seem to have a higher TSF experience.

Do any of you limit or modify your manufacturer's warranty or use an extremely safe film to lessen the chances of TSF which we all know is a negative experience for everyone regardless of the warranty.

tintusa

Guest tintusa

Sorry, forgot to also mention to you (you probably already knew this) that since you are changing out the window, be sure to get tempered glass. Even if you have to pay the difference out of pocket, you do not want it to break again. HanitaTek is extremely good in warranty claim service and should have no problem and would probably insist on tempered glass. It should easily be below $500.

I have thought about trying to steer customers to a Silver 50 on arched windows to lessen TSF; otherwise, not giving TSF and IG seal failure at all or only giving 1 year coverage. So much exposure to us and our manufacturers.

tintusa

Archived