Sun Gard?

Guest ConsumerZero

Guest ConsumerZero

Hi, I just registered as a new member and I should say right away that I'm not a pro tinter or anything just a consumer looking for some quick advice...

A local tinter is running a group buy which is a decent deal/discount but they are apparently using Sun Gard film for tinting. They say the tint has a lifetime warranty, etc. and the shop is actually highly recommended by others that have had tint done there in the past group buys, but I decided to do some of my own research which of course landed me here.

Of course I read some of the threads mentioning Sun Gard and how the company went out of business and the brand got resurrected by another company. My question of course is, do I trust the Sun Gard film (a dyed film called Shadow?) or should I just forego the group buy and go elsewhere?

A competing shop has a slightly higher price but uses Solar Gard (why do all these companies spell guard as gard? LOL); It's HP (metalised) that they have though, but they also advertise NR (dyed) but it's even more money.

Is it safe to go with Sun Gard or should I stay away?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintgod

IMO...sungard has turned itself around with a company called solamatrix backing them with more money then the last company..the previous owners started to cut corners and using cheaper product to make their film...solamatrix came on board and started using better components to make the film..and I feel they will be one of the top four window film manufacturers in the future..the got a bad name for themselves that they have to work through. with better management and a big company backing them..I will trust they will make good business from here on out.

im other words..yes...I would trust them.

Guest absolutetinting

don't do it. and if you still do it ask for something else, a new product line from the new owners. old stuff is why they bellied up.

by the way the shadow turns clear and color start to run down like a bad paint job.

Guest scottydosnntkno
Hi, I just registered as a new member and I should say right away that I'm not a pro tinter or anything just a consumer looking for some quick advice...

A local tinter is running a group buy which is a decent deal/discount but they are apparently using Sun Gard film for tinting. They say the tint has a lifetime warranty, etc. and the shop is actually highly recommended by others that have had tint done there in the past group buys, but I decided to do some of my own research which of course landed me here.

Of course I read some of the threads mentioning Sun Gard and how the company went out of business and the brand got resurrected by another company. My question of course is, do I trust the Sun Gard film (a dyed film called Shadow?) or should I just forego the group buy and go elsewhere?

A competing shop has a slightly higher price but uses Solar Gard (why do all these companies spell guard as gard? LOL); It's HP (metalised) that they have though, but they also advertise NR (dyed) but it's even more money.

Is it safe to go with Sun Gard or should I stay away?

While I am not familiar with Sun Guard myself, I believe that they make a solid film from what I've heard. After all, you dont get that big making crappy film.

That being said, the decision is up to you. Personally, I am a SolarGard dealer and use it heavily. If its the HP Charcoal that they are advertising, it is a nice film, but be aware that on the glass it will look greyish/green on overcast days. Any other time, it will look slightly reflective, like any HP film. Since you said they are offering NR for slightly more, I would assume that you are only looking at lifetime films, so that would be their Supreme line. It is a more expensive film than the HP Charcoal, so thats why they upcharge to it. Personally if it were me, I would go for the Supreme. It is my main line of film, and I sell the heck out of it. It is well known that it has by far the best optical clarity looking out, and doesn't look green or blue from the inside, just a neutral grey/brown color. Not only that, but one reason I like it is that is is just a strictly black look, with no reflectivity or coloring. Just straight black. It looks awesome on any car that it is put on, and carries a full lifetime warranty.

Guest willie
don't do it. and if you still do it ask for something else, a new product line from the new owners. old stuff is why they bellied up.

by the way the shadow turns clear and color start to run down like a bad paint job.

Could you post pics please or show some test results. I didnt realize it had been out long enough for these type of problems.

Please post what you have, enquiring minds want to know :lol

Guest absolutetinting

Could you post pics please or show some test results. I didnt realize it had been out long enough for these type of problems.

Please post what you have, enquiring minds want to know :lol

I'm retired, when I did have my bus we were redoing them when they came in. we use to keep the film and show custy the difference. we were also redoing solar gard delam, distort, and bubbling. redoing mmm color stable because of edge impressions. redoing llumar centur distortion. the only products that I had minimal problems was atr and charcool both solid.

thats just auto film. flat glass is another story.

vista, panorama,mmm,sunscape I'v gone throught it all.

tint star

Anyone can offer a lifetime warranty on the cheapest of films. What I would recommend is finding out how long this shop has been in business. If they have been there 5+ years, using the SAME films, then do it. If they recently switched to SunGard, then I wouldn't. I would go with SolarGard over SunGard, even though I dont use either one. The new owner of SunGard (Solamatrix) is still working the bugs out, and dont have a track record yet (hence why not to use it if the shop just switched). Ive heard on this board great things about Solamatrix, and they are trying to get people to trust the SunGard name again, but it will take some time. This is just my opinion...

Everyone here knows I would recommend Madico. AND I think Madico has the most optically clear auto films, not SolarGard.

Archived