I need suggestions for blacking out my living room

Guest tizlinda

Guest tizlinda

I just bought a new house and want to be able to black out my living room in the most cost effective, but practical way. We have to make a decision by Saturday and we've explored the following with a designer; shutters, Drapes, blinds and roller blinds.

The drapes are the only way to block all light and I am trying to prevent any glare that might affect my viewing pleasure on a large plasma, but they are very expensive as they need to be custom made. The windows are three 5x6 with a bit less than 1 ft wall space between.

buying just the blinds are a fifth of the cost of drapes so I was wondering if adding a tint to the windows and perhaps blinds would be a viable alternative. I just thought of this today and researched online. I need opinions from someone who has experience.

I see blackout tints that supposedly block 100% of light, do they really?

It would be great if I didnt need 100% blackout to accomplish my desired effect, but I wonder if anything less will find me staring at the window in my television. If I got blackout tint there is no point in covering with any shades or drapes other than for looks and I don't think my wife will want just tint with zero light. So I need someone to tell me 20 or 30% will work for me. Or Drapes it is. What would you do?

DO NOT BLACK OUT YOUR LIVING ROOM! I would recommend getting shutters or roll down shades. I would also recommend getting your windows tinted to reduce the heat coming through your windows. Shutters, when closed, will reduce the amount of glare more than window film will, minus blackout film. Shutters and shades are great because they offer privacy and glare reduction. With the addition of window film, you can reduce the amount of heat when you open your shutters or shades. Roll down shades that will reduce the amount of glare and heat, but you can roll them up when you want light.

I deal with Phifer Sheerweave shades.

Guest Crane

The best solution when wanting to completely block the sun from entering a room is to use blackout blinds for covering available windows and even glass doors. Blackout blinds are ideal for use inside professional dark-rooms, studios and projection interiors. Here are some other benefits offered by blackout blinds in general [snip] . Hope it helps

Archived