Pay Scale for Tinters

Guest TheQueenOfTint

Guest TheQueenOfTint

Good Morning,

I am THINKING of hiring an employee AGAIN. I have tried this before with no success. This time I actually have a TINTER and I am not sure what is a FAIR wage for a GOOD tinter.. He can due 3 to 4 cars a day by himself. Also Comm/Residential work. What is the going rate for pay there? Thank you so much for any advice!

it all depends. If he is left at the shop on his own you should pay commission. If you are there to push the cars pay him a salary. If you are experience and can handle to complicated windows I pay around $12-14 hr . As far as commission they ask for 35% but I never had luck with comission tinters. They usually go from shop to shop every summer .

It should depend by area, some places you can live like a king for $12/hour, some places that barely pays a rent. My helper makes about $17-18/hour "salary" and I usually throw him an extra $100 or so after busy months. I would figure what a decent 1 bedroom apt. goes for as about a weeks pay, here it's about $500-600, that would be a good indicator of a fair pay, more if they are more experienced, less if they are less.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I'd say salary should be at least 800-1k a week for a guy that can handle 4 a day cleanly and does flat glass as well. That's if he works Saturdays also. If he's doing that many cars on a regular basis then he is making you decent coin.

That is a decent wage for a good tinter, something that will keep him happy and loyal. I know I wouldn't work for less if I had to work for somebody.

I am training my stepdad and pay him $20 an hour on flat glass, which we only do a few a week. So he averages around $200 a week on flat glass as a trainee and then $10 an hour at the shop. But this consist of sweeping, mopping, cleaning the shop, prepping and doing quarter glass, visors and easier windows. He has been doing about $500 a week total. Next year when he can make me more, he will make more. I love having family that is responsible and trust worthy to work for me. I had theft issues before and didn't want to hire a stranger or so called friend again.

Guest sound&security
we pay by square foot: $1.50/sq. ft. for a good tinter!

you low balling? or is the market that hard up for a good tinter? 2 bux is about base for a vet.

NOT IN SOUTH FLA-flat glass installers are paid $1 a ft for standard film then it goes up from there for french pains/ladder work and security film

4mil starts at 1.50 a ft install pay.

NOW on the other hand-if you tint cars-most tinters make [only if their work is clean and quick] and can do at least 5-6 cars a day-$100-$150 a day.

DEPENDABLE and at least 40 cars a week =900-1000 a week with no come backs

Edited by sound&security