Pay Scale for Tinters

Guest TheQueenOfTint

Guest CZtint

hmm, nice theme to speak on.

From my experience, the more you pay ppl, the more loyal and willing they are, if you underpay him, he will steal or do side jobs, as he will feels used like someone previous said.

When I was employee, i was getting about 50 dollars a car, while I was doing about 3 - 5cars a day, but that was with hell of a driving, customer contact and so on. We were mobile company, so driving 60 miles to get car done, then pack, drive another 60 to get another car done and so on was terrible. returns was not paid.

I would happily tint for 1 -1,2 thousand per week, doing clean job, 0% returns (I do return about 1 car a year) and depends on system of application can do 4 to 6 cars a day, but we in CZ never pull panels or anything but brake light off, I can imagine how fast the work is with plotter and pulled of panels, monkey must be able to tint like that (with all due honest) I do car about 1,5 hour easy relaxed work so product is great, with pulled off panels it'd have to be 1hour per car.

so to recap, pay him to be loyal and he will make you serious money and you both will be happy.

Like we say : dont give me bucket of water, give me dropping tap and it will drop me a lake (not sure if translation is correct)

CZ

Unless i am desperate for someone i just train people. I have a couple of door off of cars that i buy 3 cheap 20" rolls of tint . Week 1 cleaning week 2 putting down bottoms of side doors week 3 doing doors with the bottom rubbers out . And every free time he practise on the cheap tint on the practise doors . I find in 4-6 weeks they can do doors pretty good with proper training and making sure each week they improve . We have a plotter and heat shrink all side doors . tinting isnt rocket science if you have an experience guy to supervise the trainee. oh yeah also they work for the 1st week free and if they suck i fire them and move on the another person till you get the right trainee .after 3 months i pay $10per hr and i dont teach them back windows or heat shrinking so they dont go to another shop .

Since all the markets vary, wouldn't a percentage be more fair?

I'm not even that good, and I get some serious dough up here.... But I only do a car or 2 per week throughout the year, maybe a few more in the summer.

I did an '07 Impreza sedan - total cake - $300. He gave me an $80 tip. :dunno

Guest angelgama

i pay in three different ways the basic way would be per window 10 dls any side window including vent glasses or quarter glasses and 20 dls a back window if he is an experience window tinter. it would be a total of 80dls per car on a 7 window car and it depends on your pricing per car this is based on charging $220 full car 7 windows and $200 full car for 5 windows based price for regular window film you can also go by percentange i do about 35% if i supply everything wich it comes out to be almost the same amount but the good part about percentage is that if on a hard car you charge more because is hard you both make more money if u pay him per window he gets paid the same no matter what so sometimes you would make more money but also those time when u have to sell cheap because is slow or for what ever reason you would probably make less money than him but also if u pay him per window you have the opportunity of making more money in different ways like having different lines of film lets say example regular dyed film you would charge 220 a car but if the costumer wants ceramic then you can charge 650 a car and still pay him 80dls for the full car so it just depends on what you guys agree with the otherway would be hourly wich i dont recomend the reason why is because some installers just dont care for the work since all they want is to be there 8 hours and get out there wont be no motivation to make more money and do the job right to keep their reputation clean

Guest PRO TINTER

OMG! Are you people serious???? Thes low pay scales are 30 years old!!! The last tint shop I worked for had myself and another tinter double team every car. At 35% we each averaged 2K or more per week. Anyone that can't sell a job for a minimum of over two bills needs to get out of the business! The price of everything has doubled in the last 30 years except tint. Prices have stagnated and installers are now making half of what they did 30 years ago. On top of that, output demand has went up 30%. An installer could make more money with one car a day at home than slaving for a low ball shop with no sales talent. You only get what you ask for!