How much to pay an experienced auto window tinter?

Guest 2207WEST

I have been in business for one year now, and I have been paying 30% to a very experienced window tinter. I am considering changing his pay. I almost feel like that makes him a 30% partner, yet he does not buy film, go after work or deal with day to day operations. Any thoughts?

That reminds me of a joke.... but what you just stated is much funnier.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that makes him a 30% partner, yet he does not buy film, go after work or deal with day to day operations. Any thoughts?

I bet you dont tint, or if you do, you have just picked up a lil bit and not enough to even be profitable alone. With that said lets put this in laymans terms

If you wanted to consider him a partner I would say thats a 50/50 deal... You may be the brains, the money and the sales, but he is the talent, the grunt and end the end turns the idea you have into a tangible thing.

So, if he is the talent, then look at it from that side, you should be making 10% of what his talent provides.... booking the gigs to concerts but you cant sing or play a lick...

Ok look at a dealership... the parts department sells the parts to service, which in turn pays the tech to repair the car. Service pays the tech for knowledge, skills and tools.

Basically you are a service writer and a parts department. so you are 2/3rds of the "program" generating the loot. Thus your take is 70%. yes you are covering the cost of the parts, but you are making that back plus a profit, and you are getting profit to sell the job...

I have made as high as 35% working for a shop. Also the installers that we put in dealers usually make 15-20 bucks a flag hour and get 2.5 to 3 flags per sedan (take that to relation coupes and suvs)

You are making out like a bandit. You get what you pay for in an installer. You can pay 10 bux and hour to a guy that doesnt know how to hand cut and only install while using a plotter... but he isnt going to be able to do but a few cars a day and your redo rate will be different which all effects your bottom dollar.

If you are tinting cars retail for 100 bux and paying 30% to your installer, you are a hack shop paying a top notch installer :twocents

But for instance when I was making 35% we were the most expensive in town. I wont go over #'s as its a no no here, but the sales guys would bring me the work order and my jaw would drop as I asked them how they got away with that... to each his own I guess

vkool tint jobs on highlines..... everyone was making a killing, shop owner, sales guy and the installer. I happened to be the installer.... Merely took the work order and completed it and took my 35%.

I think if you are charging a respectable price then you can pay your installer respectably for a respectable job. Pretty Simple.

You get what you pay for. If you want a hamburger, go to McDonalds and pay .99. You're going to satiate your hunger, but afterwards you will probably regret eating such garbage. Now if you want a steak, expect to pay upwards of $25. Afterward, you will satiate your hunger just as you did with the .99 cent hamburger. However this time you are more likely to be happy and enjoyed the meal you just finished. Get it?

I have made between 25 and 40 percent throughout the years. Maybe it's just my ego talking but I wouldn't work for less than that. I'm salary plus my forty now but I also do all the 12 volt work.

I have been in business for one year now, and I have been paying 30% to a very experienced window tinter. I am considering changing his pay. I almost feel like that makes him a 30% partner, yet he does not buy film, go after work or deal with day to day operations. Any thoughts?

If you want to increase your sales without putting in any effort, and you want the effort to be on his part. Maybe you can offer him a % incentive above the 30% on all business that he brings in by himself. This could speed him up while tinting as well, but I dont know your whole situation. Even though he would be getting more money, the income for you would be a little more passive.

who,s going to do the work when

he,s gone? Can you? A successful bussiness requires partners in one form or another. Unless its a 1 man show. And yes i meen employees

Archived