Begining of the end?

Guest JTKSDB

Guest JTKSDB

I had a gentleman come by today to ask me about his rear window on his 2008 Beetle. I went out to look at it and I will be damned if it wasn't privacy glass. Dark green aprox. 35% VLT like the Toureg"s privacy glass. I called a few glass shops in town and all of them show clear is the only thing available. The fact is, it shouldn't be available. It is classified as a passenger vehicle, not multi-purpose. So where did this glass come from? Is this the start to seeing passenger cars with privacy glass? I don't think so, but it does make me wonder about the future of auto glass in our industry.

Guest tintgod
I had a gentleman come by today to ask me about his rear window on his 2008 Beetle. I went out to look at it and I will be damned if it wasn't privacy glass. Dark green aprox. 35% VLT like the Toureg"s privacy glass. I called a few glass shops in town and all of them show clear is the only thing available. The fact is, it shouldn't be available. It is classified as a passenger vehicle, not multi-purpose. So where did this glass come from? Is this the start to seeing passenger cars with privacy glass? I don't think so, but it does make me wonder about the future of auto glass in our industry.

you should have snapped a pic of it...would have loved to have seen that.

it does make me wonder about the future of auto glass in our industry.

In my latest edition of Car & Driver, there is an article (p.24) that talks about a California cool-car proposal that mandates higher performance auto glass for vehicles up to 10,000 pounds. Check it out here: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/colum..._by_2012_column

Although Californians use less energy than others in the US, if you look at their unemployment and budget deficits it doesnt make sense to "follow their lead". I dont think that the introduction of better performing glass will diminish automotive tinting too much, b/c people will still look for UV protection and privacy. However, the costs of buying these vehicles will skyrocket b/c of mandates for the glass. Everything in Cali is expensive b/c of all the energy conservation, which is all based on the hoax of man made global warming.

In the beginning of that article, he wrote about paint colors. White reflects the most heat while black absorbs it. If global Al Gore warming does exist, neither color would work. White reflects heat which bounces back into the atmosphere, and black absorbs it, but apparently mpg's decrease b/c of an over working a/c, which makes for more fillups and CO2 emmisions (which, lets all remember...this is what we exhale).

Guest GreenCove

it was probably just one that I tinted :beer

Guest scottydosnntkno
Some of the new subaru wagons are coming with tinted rear glass as well.

those may be like the magnums and be classified as a MPV though :beer

Guest scottydosnntkno
I can tell You for certain it wasn't factory VW glass.....at least not U.S. Spec.....had to have been aftermarket.

I saw a guy with a "factory tinted" side window once that was BLUE, yes BLUE. He came to me and was like can you do anything about it? I was like well we could put limo over it and see if that helps, and surpisingly it wasn't that noticeable unless you were looking for it(it was a rear door glass on some kind of SUV). I have NO idea where it came from :beer

Archived