R & R, or film over old tint?

Guest Mo Evo

Guest Mo Evo

I've got a drummer-rocker dude with an 07 MBZ CLS550, black on black with 22" rims/wheels that has what looks like a 35% all around. I didn't tint it originally, but he wants it darker. I told him the pitfalls...can't guarantee the defroster grid during removal and the glass is double-paned. He want's me to tint over the original film, which still looks good, with 5% on the rear 5. I don't want to chance that on a 100 grand car, but neither am I too interested in removing and retinting with him all worried about the defroster lines. It's bank, but I'm not sure I want to take any chances. I'd rather just send him packing as a few fellow tinters have advised me. What would you do??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tintmart

remove old tint. hit him the extra $$$'s for the job, steam the rear off demisters should work, ive never removed one that was in decent condition and they didnt work after. Make it worth ur while if your gonna do the job, me personally wouldnt let no one walk out of my door if they want it done.

Guest djtekk707

Hey Monique send it too me if you want I think im close by to you. You can reach me at (707) 536-3704 or you can check out my site iv done plenty of film removals.

www.getitdarker.com

Guest Tintbds

Or you can just tint the sides 5% also tint full frontal W/S. You don't even have to touch the Rear W/S.

That would darken the car. I do it here from time to time. No worries

Guest scottydosnntkno
I'd give him a choice. Film over w/no warranty or R&R, depending on how much he wants to spend.

:bingo even with the DP glass and stuff, I've never had an issue with it. Just bag or steam the back glass and you're good to go. I've never had a removal that was still decent film where the defrosters stopped working as long as your careful.

according to my glass guy the breaking point of lami is 1200 degrees(according to him) and theres no way its going to get that hot just sitting in the sun steaming :coffee

Guest Mo Evo
Hey Monique send it too me if you want I think im close by to you. You can reach me at (707) 536-3704 or you can check out my site iv done plenty of film removals.

www.getitdarker.com

This one's in Walnut Creek. I gave him the options...remove and retint or film over old with no warranty. I'm going there Friday and he'll hash it over til then. With what I quoted him to film over, I get the feeling $$$ is not a problem for a r & r!

Does the CLS have the defrosters on the glass or in between the panes? I don't think I have even done one so I don't know. I say remove either way. Bag it and it should be no problem since you say the film is in good condition

Archived