vinyl or paint matrix

Guest TintsOvOz
ive been doing vinyl over top of matrix lately but would like to try painting the dots instead now. I know stan paints them, just wondering what the process of blacking out the dots with paint is....or if it is even a good idea to change from the vinyl to the paint?

Prepare the matrix and use tint?? dont paint thou!

Oz................ :twocents

Guest twistedtinter

ive used elmers clear school glue just a bead across across the bottom of the dots and lay the film and that should work now long term iam not sure if it lasts cuz ive never had a come back

Stan have you ever tried clear top coat spray paint instead of black?

I have always used Krylon flat black spray can.

hey stan what about a paint brush method, would that work just as good? just gotta find the same paint but in canned form so I can dip the brush in.

Dan never used a brush :lol2 never a problem with over spray, smell, mess or complaint from customer but that's just me. The new Krylon semi flat is called satin.

Have you did this on any HIGH END cars stan?

Sounds kind of risky.

:thumb:beer :beer :beer

It does sound risky but knock on wood never a problem. Try it :twocents

The paint gets messed up by the customer to much, I use the vinyl now works a lot better.

Time messes with the paint and if you decide to remove major PITA with clean up. I know you can repaint but some customers do not want paint.

:hmmm never had a customer not want it and never had to remove it cause it would not work

ive used elmers clear school glue just a bead across across the bottom of the dots and lay the film and that should work now long term iam not sure if it lasts cuz ive never had a come back

I have seen glue turn to a white powder after a few years. I think humidity has something to do with it :lol2

over all there are several ways that work so if you glue or what ever just do it but don't say no to paint untill you try it.

Never painted a custy's car yet, but, I have painted my own before. In 96', I bought an Acura tl and had it tinted with SolarGard 5%. Laid the tint to the bottom dots and sprayed some flat black rattle can paint on the matrix. I sold the car last year and the paint looked as good as the day I sprayed it. The tint, however, looked like purple crap :twocents

Archived