How long did it take...

Guest shaver

Guest shaver

How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with tinting, and what you would call "good" at it? I started in late March...and have been tinting alone since May-ish. I used to approach every job overwhelemed and scared...now I get in, get it done, and am proud of my work.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sunlimited

I had a GREAT teacher, and it was about 6 mos. before it "clicked"...and I was able to do an acceptible job. But you're always learning, new tip, tricks, and new cars....It's something that never ends

Guest shaver
I had a GREAT teacher, and it was about 6 mos. before it "clicked"...and I was able to do an acceptible job. But you're always learning, new tip, tricks, and new cars....It's something that never ends

I heard that. I finally clicked...lol what a good feeling. Luckily I know I have a lot to learn...some of these shops around here already know everything. Man it pisses me off to talk with a "know it all".

Guest naughtydog

I would say 2 years before you can produce average work - I think before this time you are kidding yourself and your customers.

I feel the standard in Europe can higher that other countries but we can charge double the amount.

It took me longer than most on here..not because of being not good at it..but because of no internet support, lack of tools , isolation , no heat gun being introduced into the picture ..so yrs

You younger guys got it good :lol

Guest Sunlimited
I would say 2 years before you can produce average work - I think before this time you are kidding yourself and your customers.

I feel the standard in Europe can higher that other countries but we can charge double the amount.

Don't care if it's Europe or the States, the standard is high...be sure you're comfortable...

Guest shaver

Don't care if it's Europe or the States, the standard is high...be sure you're comfortable...

I agree...what does it matter where I'm at tinting? I've lurked around on this forum tons without posting, sucking up the knowledge you pro's produce and wasted a bunch of film to get it right. In fact, I tinted a car for a dealership the other day. Just so happened the owner of one of the best tint shops in town bought it. The dealership told me he was impressed with the tint job, and was content with leaving it on there. That says something right? Who am I kidding? HA!

I'm getting more and more comfortable. I've noticed if I'm distracted I take longer, and it stresses me some...but I stay consistant with my quality

Guest Tintim

Confortable is when you have worked on all the brands available in your country, all the tinters " Nightmare cars 944, 928 " (which are now thought of as easy - never) - then your comfortable 95% of the time until you get unusual request like 1962 Rolls Royce Phantom, or Maybach, Veyron, New Ferrari etc.

How long does that take? :spit upshot is you're never 100% comfortable.

Archived