Cutting issues

Guest LindyM

Guest LindyM

Hi my name is Lindy, and I have been in the vehicle wrapping business for 12 years and decided to give PPF a try. I have a 40" DGI plotter running Llumars software. TOday I was going to cut the bumper pattern for a new LS and as the plotter wend back and forwards tue film would bunch up and cling to itself and cause a jam. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in Advance !

Guest Josh @ Proform
Hi my name is Lindy, and I have been in the vehicle wrapping business for 12 years and decided to give PPF a try. I have a 40" DGI plotter running Llumars software. TOday I was going to cut the bumper pattern for a new LS and as the plotter wend back and forwards tue film would bunch up and cling to itself and cause a jam. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in Advance !

Next time, prior to cutting, try rolling out as much film as you need and applying some detail spray or wax to reduce the tack of the film surface.

Guest Shieldman

Thanks in Advance !

don't use lulu would be the first thing I would try. Next I would try wetting a dryer sheet and rubbing it all over. Then taping dryer sheets to the rollers.

Thanks in Advance !

Next time, prior to cutting, try rolling out as much film as you need and applying some detail spray or wax to reduce the tack of the film surface.

I've been rolling out the length and spraying Plexus on the film as I scroll it back. On bigger cuts with the 55 inch film, I put an empty core where the film hangs between the roll and the plotter. If the film does touch and stick to itself, once the plotter has pulled enough film through to lift the film off the ground, the weight of the core is enough to break that contact before it gets pulled onto the plotter deck and wad up.

You can also stand next to the plotter while its running and gently tap the film if it trys to stick. Sometimes I just hold the micro fiber towel I just wiped the film with just behind the feeding film to sorta keep it away from itself.

Guest Josh @ Proform
thanks for the advice, Ill give that a try. I was thinking to use some Talcum powder.

Is this a common issue ?

I would avoid powder as it will likely get on the backing paper and later on the vehicles surface.

Speeds suggestion for Plexus is a really good option, as it not only cleans and polishes but reduces static. What ever you use make sure it is designed for plastics/urethane.

Guest LindyM

I wanted to take to time and thank you all for your time and suggestions. I pre-cut and waxed the film to the section I was going to cut out. I also made 2 60" ramps from foamboard that velcro on the front and back of the plotter to assure there is no curl or dirt pick-up from the floor. This worked awesome.

Archived